Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Feature
MotoGP
Catalan GP
Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

MotoGP to race at Silverstone in 2015 and 2016

Silverstone will host the British MotoGP round in 2015 and 2016, it has been confirmed

Having lost the rights to the event last year, the Formula 1 venue confirmed on Wednesday that an agreement with new rights holder the Circuit of Wales and MotoGP promoter Dorna had been reached to host it again for two more years.

It follows the announcement from Donington Park on Tuesday that it had terminated its agreement to hold the race on the CoW's behalf due to missed payments understood to be related to the hire of the track.

With construction of the CoW yet to begin and a public inquiry due at the start of March, there has been concern that the planned £300m Blaenau Gwent facility would not be ready for next year's race.

Michael Carrick, the project's chief executive, revealed that Silverstone would therefore host the 2016 round as well.

"We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Silverstone to host the 2015 and 2016 British rounds of MotoGP," he said in a joint statement between the CoW and Silverstone.

"We want to thank the new management at Silverstone, our partners at Dorna and our investors for the rapid response needed to support the 2015 event when it became clear that we would be unlikely to conclude the contractual arrangements at Donington.

"We are delighted to secure the future of the event for the next two years while our circuit in Wales is under construction.

"Today's announcement ensures we will have the 2015 MotoGP event in the UK.

"We continue to advance our development activity on the Circuit of Wales and are focused on the upcoming public inquiry into the deregistration of the common land.

"We expect construction to commence once this inquiry has concluded."

The event replaces Silverstone's planned World Series by Renault round, which has been moved to the weekend of September 5-6.

New Silverstone managing director Patrick Allen said: "A lot of work has been done over recent years to ensure MotoGP fans enjoy what Silverstone has to offer and it was devastating for the venue to lose the event last autumn.

"I welcomed the opportunity to meet with both Dorna and the Circuit of Wales recently so that we could try and find a way to keep MotoGP in the UK and racing at Silverstone.

"Two-wheel racing is as much a part of Silverstone's heritage as four wheel racing and I am obviously delighted to be in a position to announce we are hosting both the F1 and MotoGP Grands Prix in 2015."

Previous article Circuit of Wales contests Donington claim over British MotoGP round
Next article Aprilia MotoGP team wants more from struggling Marco Melandri

Top Comments

Latest news