Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Hadjar could miss F1 Dutch GP with Red Bull replacement plan already in place

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Hadjar could miss F1 Dutch GP with Red Bull replacement plan already in place

"No nine to five cruise" - The challenge of assembling Cadillac's trackside F1 team from scratch

Formula 1
Dutch GP
"No nine to five cruise" - The challenge of assembling Cadillac's trackside F1 team from scratch

Christian Horner to headline 2026 ABX NYC

General
Christian Horner to headline 2026 ABX NYC

Top five roles on Motorsport Jobs this week

General
Top five roles on Motorsport Jobs this week

Lappi returns to Hyundai line-up for WRC Rally Chile

WRC
Rally Chile
Lappi returns to Hyundai line-up for WRC Rally Chile

Red Bull protege Kalousdian dominates Snetterton Ginetta Junior event

National
Red Bull protege Kalousdian dominates Snetterton Ginetta Junior event

Albon commits to Williams F1 team for 2027

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Albon commits to Williams F1 team for 2027

What an engineer with four decades of F1 experience would choose as the ideal engine rules

Feature
Formula 1
What an engineer with four decades of F1 experience would choose as the ideal engine rules

Beirer: KTM financial struggles and MotoGP results are not linked

KTM motorsport boss says brand’s MotoGP efforts have not been affected by the company’s financial problems – and claims KTM can win races this year

Pedro Acosta, Red Bull KTM Factory Racing

KTM motorsport director Pit Beirer has hit out at critics claiming that the brand’s MotoGP project is struggling as a result of the financial problems for the Austrian manufacturer.

Speaking on the world feed on Saturday at the Qatar Grand Prix, Beirer said the road bike factory’s well-documented money problems were no issue for the MotoGP campaign, and added that KTM would win races this year.

Although the four KTMs on the grid have struggled to perform in the early part of 2025, Beirer said it was wrong to assume a connection between the financial headlines around the wider KTM brand and the race team’s issues.

“I’ve been angry because it looks like everybody has put everything in the same pot,” said Beirer during Free Practice 2. “[They say] ‘There is a KTM crisis, results are not coming, [KTM] doesn’t have money to buy spare parts.’ That is all bullshit.

“We came into the new season prepared. We brought many new parts. But then we just couldn’t put the package together right.

“Then there were rumours that we couldn’t go testing. No! We couldn’t go testing because the track at Jerez was broken [following recent flooding]. There was a plan to go there. Then last week we tested at Misano. And we were in the wind tunnel the other week.

“We are giving everything. We have a strong team at home working for the riders. At the end of the day… with no results, it’s easy to blame the crisis. But no, we are prepared for the future of KTM and we have so much support from the company to keep racing at a very strong level.

Pit Beirer, KTM Motorsports Director

Pit Beirer, KTM Motorsports Director

Photo by: Gold and Goose / Motorsport Images

“[The problem has not been a case of] having no new parts. But not everything [new] you bring is better. We had to take a step back with some parts… that’s normal in racing. So it’s all fine – we just need to prove it.

“Look at the other disciplines: Dakar, motocross, supercross… and we are winning everywhere, we are winning in Moto3. Just MotoGP is so brutal, and that’s why I’m underlining here that… we don’t want to blame the crisis. We have everything we need to perform.

“We [just] need to regroup. We shouldn’t be disappointed in not winning [this race]. I feel that around fifth position is where we should try to stabilise our project. From there, we’re going to win races this year.”

Beirer was also asked about the ongoing paddock rumours that an unhappy Pedro Acosta, who has struggled to reproduce the form from his stellar rookie year in 2024 following a move from Tech3 to the factory team, will be poached out of his 2026 KTM contract. On this matter, Beirer was somewhat less forthright in his response.

“Pedro has a contract with us and I feel okay. I take it as a compliment [that other teams are interested]. Other teams want to have good riders, that’s also racing.

“We have to perform and make Pedro feel comfortable to stay here.”

Read Also:
Previous article MotoGP Qatar GP: Marc Marquez grabs pole, Bagnaia 11th after crash
Next article MotoGP Qatar GP: Marc Marquez takes dominant sprint race win from brother Alex

Top Comments

Latest news