Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Iannone doping hearing date set, will miss Sepang MotoGP test

Andrea Iannone's appeal hearing to have his FIM doping ban overturned has been set for February 4, which means he will miss the first MotoGP test of 2020

The Aprilia rider tested positive for an anabolic steroid over the winter from a sample taken during the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend, which he claims was ingested through contaminated food - though, according to experts, this is a highly unlikely scenario.

Italian media reported Iannone's second urine sample also tested positive for the drug, though the rider has maintained his innocence.

Autosport understands Iannone will attend a hearing of the FIM's International Disciplinary Court in Switzerland on February 4.

He has until January 31 to submit a list of people who will support his case.

With the first pre-season test of the year getting underway at Sepang on February 2 with a three-day shakedown for test riders and concession teams, Iannone will be absent - though Aprilia is yet to officialy confirm this.

Once all evidence has been heard, the court will have 45 days to decide on a verdict, though Aprilia and Iannone will likely seek for this to be reduced with the season officially beginning just over a month from the hearing date.

Depending on the verdict, Iannone could face a ban from competition of up to four years.

In Iannone's absence from the Sepang test, Aprilia test rider Bradley Smith will likely have an expanded running programme alongside Aleix Espargaro.

Last week, Italian media reported that 13-time MotoGP race winner and brand ambassador for Aprilia Max Biaggi had been linked to an outing at the Sepang test.

However, this now looks unlikely, with World Superbike rider Lorenzo Savadori (pictured below) - whose deal with the Pedercini Kawasaki team in WSBK for 2020 looks to have fallen through due to a sponsor backing out - now set to ride a year-old RS-GP at the Sepang test to boost Aprilia's data gathering as it gets set to debut it's radically revised new bike.

Previous article Retired three-time champion Jorge Lorenzo to be made MotoGP legend
Next article Yamaha: 2020 M1 designed to be better in MotoGP pack races

Top Comments

Latest news