Hopkins ruled out of Jerez test
American MotoGP rider John Hopkins has been ruled out of the final pre-season test in Jerez starting on Friday after crashing heavily in Qatar last week
Hopkins will not appear on track at the Spanish circuit. Instead, the Suzuki rider will travel back to Britain on Sunday to continue his rehabilitation.
"Talking with the doctors, I realized that I shouldn't take any risk riding this weekend," he told the official MotoGP website. "At least this problem came up at the end of the pre-season and not right in the middle. So now I'm heading home to get some laser treatment.
"I think the new bike looks great. We have already had the chance to ride it but this is the first time I've seen the new colours. I am looking forward to getting out on the track again and showing what the new GSV-R can do."
The 23-year-old fractured a toe in his right foot and suffered some damage to his hands as well as extensive bruising from the 190kph fall. He is expected to be fit in time for the season-opener in Qatar on March 10.
Suzuki have high hopes for the season with Hopkins and Australian Chris Vermeulen.
The team presented their new GSV-R800 bike on Thursday evening in Jerez, hailing it as their best so far.
"John and Chris have performed well over the winter and their fitness levels are superb," said team manager Paul Denning in a statement.
"They both have to learn the fine art of competing to win at MotoGP level but this is a bike that will allow them to take that next step."
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments