Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Feature
MotoGP
Catalan GP
Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

FIM confirms Japanese MotoGP race will go ahead in October

The Japanese MotoGP race will go ahead as planned in October, the sport's ruling body confirmed on Tuesday

The MotoGP bodies had commissioned the ARPA agency to carry out an investigation into the radiation levels at the Motegi circuit amid fears from some riders that it would be dangerous to race there following thee nuclear power station crisis.

In the preliminary report, ARPA had already said the risks to health were "negligible" and that the event should go ahead as planned.

On Tuesday, FIM said it had received the final report by ARPA, and that the grand prix will take place on 2 October as planned.

"As already indicated in the previous press release, ARPA has measured levels of radiation from all sources including the air, environment and food," said FIM in a statement.

"The final conclusion is that 'based on the estimate dose it can be said with no doubt that the radiation risk during the race event is negligible'.

"This study is intended to complement the information already available from various Governments and the World Health Organisation, which addresses the general situation in Japan following the earthquake and subsequent tsunami that occurred in March.

"This independent investigation reports specifically on the situation in Motegi and its environs, making it much more relevant to MotoGP participants."

The report says ARPA took 100 ambient radiation samples to measure the estimated individual absorption given a week at Motegi, and all were considered normal.

Championship leader Casey Stoner had stated that he had already made up his mind and was not going to race in Japan.

"I won't go," said the Honda rider. "My opinion I have had for some time, not as long as Jorge, but I took some time to make my decision and I will not go there. I am sure most riders are of the same opinion. That's my decision and I guess it is up to the organisers to figure out what is going to happen."

The full ARPA report can be read here.

Previous article Rossi wants more Ducati progress after sixth place in Laguna Seca
Next article Honda's Shuhei Nakamoto not underestimating Jorge Lorenzo's threat

Top Comments

Latest news