Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Martin to miss Sepang MotoGP test for Aprilia

After an injury-hit 2025, Jorge Martin is still working to return to full strength this year

Jorge Martin, Aprilia Racing Team

Aprilia has announced that 2024 MotoGP champion Jorge Martin will miss the first pre-season test of the year at Sepang next week.

As reported by Autosport earlier this month, Martin will sit out the three-day test in Malaysia on 3-5 February after undergoing two more surgeries in the winter to treat the injuries he had suffered during a wretched 2025 campaign.

While the Spaniard will not be riding the RS-GP in the Sepang test, the Spaniard will still travel to Malaysia on Sunday to join Aprilia at the test and take part in MotoGP’s official launch event in Kuala Lumpur on 7 February.

Although all of Martin’s accidents were immediately treated, the recovery was not progressing as expected, forcing doctors to perform two more operations on him.

The first surgery was to correct the injury he sustained to the scaphoid bone in his left hand last February. The second surgery focused on his right collarbone, which he broke during the sprint race at Motegi in September.

Jorge Martin, Aprilia Racing Team

Jorge Martin, Aprilia Racing Team

Photo by: Aprilia Racing

Aprilia had not disclosed the surgeries when Martin appeared in Milan on 15 January for the team’s 2026 launch event.

This is the second time in two years that Martin’s preparations for a new season have been affected by injuries. Last year, he suffered fractures to his left foot and right hand on the opening day of testing at Sepang, before hurting himself again during training while preparing for his return at the Thai Grand Prix.

This time, the 27-year-old is targeting a comeback at the Buriram test on 21–22 February. If he is fit to ride, he will have just two days of track time before the season begins at the same Thai venue on 1 March.

Aprilia has again called in its test rider Lorenzo Savadori to substitute for Martin at the Sepang test, with the Italian having filled the same role for the bulk of last year. Savadori will also be in action for Aprilia during this week’s shakedown at Sepang from 29-31 January, which will only be open to test riders and rookies.

Read Also:
Previous article Acosta on MotoGP silly season: “Those who aren’t happy will move on”
Next article Why KTM thinks it "hasn't done enough yet" to retain Acosta in MotoGP

Top Comments

Latest news