Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Hamilton risks Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton risks Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Mercedes boss defends Antonelli's fury following clash with Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes boss defends Antonelli's fury following clash with Russell

Antonelli wants Mercedes "clarity" over Russell defence in Canada F1 sprint

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Antonelli wants Mercedes "clarity" over Russell defence in Canada F1 sprint

F1 Canadian GP: Russell wins sprint after Antonelli clash

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell wins sprint after Antonelli clash

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Aprilia will drop MotoGP rider Iannone if he's handed long doping ban

Aprilia Racing CEO Massimo Rivola has admitted that a long doping ban for Andrea Iannone would likely spell the end of the manufacturer's relationship with the Italian MotoGP rider

Iannone, 30, was provisionally suspended by motorcycling's governing body the FIM after a urine sample taken during the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend tested positive for an anabolic steroid, putting his place on the 2020 MotoGP grid in serious doubt.

The hearing for his appeal is set to take place on February 4, just three days before the start of the first official pre-season test of the 2020 season at Sepang.

Rivola admitted that some kind of sanction for Iannone was likely in the circumstances but said the length of any ban would dictate whether his Aprilia contract would remain valid.

"I'd be surprised if he wasn't penalised, because I think the Federation [FIM] has to comply with WADA [World Anti-Doping Agency] codes," Rivola told Corriere della Sera.

"If he had to be banned for one or two years, it's clear the relationship would end.

"But if he were to take a reprimand or three months, it would mean his innocence would have been acknowledged, even if he was sanctioned."

However, Rivola added that he believes Iannone is innocent, saying that he had instructed the one-time MotoGP race winner to lose weight at the start of last season.

"Aprilia is close to its rider," continued the ex-Ferrari Formula 1 sporting director.

"Many times we are told: 'Iannone [testing] positive is normal because he does underwear adverts, he is muscular, and shows himself off topless'. But it is not so.

"Last year at the first test I put him on the scales and said, 'That's not it. [Team-mate] Aleix Espargaro weighs 10kg less than you. You need to go on a diet, change your workout'.

"By July, he had lost 6.5kg working hard. Why would he take anabolics [intentionally] if he had to lose weight?"

Who would replace Iannone in 2020 in the event of a ban remains unclear, although test rider Bradley Smith is set for an expanded role for Sepang testing and ex-World Superbike racer Lorenzo Savadori is also slated to assist the new RS-GP's development in Malaysia.

Previous article Marquez rides for first time since surgery ahead of Sepang MotoGP test
Next article Aprilia reveals first pictures of 2020 MotoGP bike

Top Comments

Latest news