FIM stewards cancel Marc Marquez's penalty for collision with Pol Espargaro in Catalunya Moto2 race
The FIM stewards have cancelled the one-minute penalty imposed on Marc Marquez by MotoGP race direction following his clash with Pol Espargaro in the Catalunya Moto2 race
Marquez made contact with Espargaro while trying to retake the racing line following a mistake on the entry to Turn 10 with two laps to go.
Espargaro went down the inside as Marquez moved across the track, resulting in contact and a violent crash for the Pons rider. Marquez continued to finish third, but was initially demoted to 23rd by race direction, who ruled that he "rode in an irresponsible manner, causing danger to rider Pol Espargaro".
Marquez's Monlau team appealed against the verdict, and the FIM stewards "did not confirm the decision of the race direction and cancelled the penalty."
The stewards' decision means Marquez moves back up to second in the Moto2 standings, two points behind leader Thomas Luthi.
Marquez was contrite after the incident, saying he had not realised Espargaro was trying to pass.
"I want to say sorry to him but I didn't know he was right behind me," said Marquez.
Espargaro felt his move had been sensible.
"I'm not happy because always when you are racing at home, you want to do a good result and be in front," he told the official MotoGP website.
"Marc had a little bit of a problem on the entry of the corner and he was a little bit out. I tried to pass him on the inside of the corner and I think I had a good line, but Marc continued to the line from outside and he touched me and I had a big crash."
The initial decision to penalise Marquez had been criticised by MotoGP world champions Casey Stoner and Valentino Rossi. Stoner welcomed news of the punishment's cancellation, but remained unimpressed by the process.
"Good to see they dropped Marquez's penalty," Stoner wrote on his Twitter feed. "Maybe they should consider all sides and views before they dish out penalties."
Stoner and Rossi hit out at Moto2 title contender Marc Marquez's post-race penalty
Pol Espargaro claims maiden Moto2 pole at Silverstone
Former French Formula 1 driver Jean-Pierre Jabouille has died on Thursday at age 80, French media have reported.
Reigning IMSA Sportscar Championship title-winner Oliver Jarvis will contest the European Le Mans Series with United Autosports alongside Formula 2 convert Marino Sato, in addition to the World Endurance Championship.
IMSA’s new GTP class for LMDh cars had a more auspicious debut last weekend than the Daytona Prototypes that arrived in 2003. Back then, they were humbled by a GT Porsche 911, which won the Floridian sportscar classic by nine laps.
Entries have opened for the 2023 Williams Autosport Engineer of the Future Award, with budding motorsport engineers invited to apply for the revamped prize.
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
You have 2 options:
- Become a subscriber.
- Disable your adblocker.