Texas Motor Speedway has turned down an approach from IndyCar to host the 2012 season finale.
The series is looking for a venue to host a 16th round after the Chinese race scheduled for August 19 was cancelled earlier this week. Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage confirmed speculation that the series was interested returning to the 1.5-mile oval at the end of the year, but said that it would clash with its NASCAR event.
"We appreciate IndyCar reaching out to us for that opportunity, but there were numerous issues and obstacles to overcome to successfully promote the event like the past 23 IZOD IndyCar Series events we have hosted here," said Gossage in a statement.
"Our focus during that period - ranging from operations to marketing - is squarely on the November 1-4 AAA Texas 500 NASCAR triple-header weekend, especially with it being a key Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup race.
"We couldn't justify dividing resources between the two events to make it happen and it would be an injustice to both due to the scheduling."
IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard said that the series is still looking into its options.
"We appreciate Texas Motor Speedway exploring the opportunity with us," he said. "We continue to speak with various tracks to find the right venue for our potential 16th race."
Texas does not yet have a deal for an IndyCar race next year, with Bernard having cited concerns about its financial viability. However the immense success of last weekend's race, where tweaks to the aero profile of the cars succeeded in eliminating pack racing at a track formerly notorious for it, has generated widespread support within the paddock for it to be retained.