Click to view our fantastic subscription offers

Instant access to the F1 paddock

You have 10 views remaining

You have read 5 stories this month. After 15, you will need to register or subscribe.

Register with us for free to view 30 stories a month.

Or subscribe to AUTOSPORT+ for unlimited news stories and access to our exclusive subscriber-only content.

Our commitment to quality journalism

We've introduced metered access to AUTOSPORT which will ensure that the majority of our visitors can continue to view the site for free. But we think that is worth a small investment from those who use it most, so that we can continue to send the leading experts in their field to motor racing paddocks all over the world to break the latest news and produce the most compelling interviews and race reports.

Every visitor gets 15 free page views per month. Once you reach the limit you can register to get 30 views or choose one of our value-for-money subscription packages to continue viewing and to get additional access to a range of features including:

  • Unlimited access to AUTOSPORT with news and views from the paddock
  • Enjoy AUTOSPORT+: subscriber-only analysis, comment and top-quality pictures
  • Get AUTOSPORT magazine in a digital format on your computer or iPad every week
  • Full access to FORIX - the world's best motorsport statistics website

We greatly appreciate your continued support to keep AUTOSPORT at the forefront of motorsport coverage, and we look forward to welcoming you as a new subscriber.


Glenn Freeman
AUTOSPORT.com Editor

autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
INDYCAR NEWS 

IndyCar's Chinese round called off

Indycar's Chinese round called offIndyCar's planned street race in the Chinese port city of Qingdao has been cancelled, just over two months before it was scheduled to take place.

The event, which was scheduled for August 19, had been in doubt for some time due to complications with Qingdao city officials, but IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard said that despite ongoing efforts to make the race work, there was simply no time left.

"We wanted to give the China race every opportunity to move forward and be successful, but IndyCar has been notified by the promoter that the event is cancelled for 2012," said Bernard in a statement.

"We were informed that the promoter was trying to move the event to a different date and location. After ongoing discussions regarding alternative dates, as well as doing our due diligence in exploring alternate venues in China, the promoter cancelled the event.

"A decision had to be made to allow IndyCar and its participants to plan accordingly for the second half of the season."

Despite the failure of this year's race, Bernard says that he remains open to trying to get an event in China off the ground in the future. In the meantime, work is underway to find a possible replacement event so that the schedule can be kept at 16 races.

"We are working with our promoters that host events in the second half of our calendar to keep them apprised of how the date of a potential new race could impact our current schedule," Bernard said.

The current schedule has the season finishing at Fontana, however Bernard confirmed in Texas last weekend that there is no clause in the Californian superspeedway's contract that guarantees that it will host the season finale.

Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  RELATED STORIES
Texas confirms June IndyCar fixture
Texas rejects IndyCar finale offer
Haymarket