Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

OWRS adds Las Vegas date

Open Wheel Racing Series has concluded an agreement to add the Las Vegas Motor Speedway to its 2004 Champ Car World Series calendar. The 400-mile night race on the 1.5-mile superspeedway is to be run under floodlights on September 25. The LVMS tri-oval will be the first superspeedway Champ Car event since last season's visit to EuroSpeedway Lausitz in Germany

"We have found it very important to develop a partnership with a superspeedway oval, and we found that in Speedway Motorsports and the Las Vegas Motor Speedway," said OWRS partner Kevin Kalkhoven.

"The addition of a Champ Car World Series event is great news not only for Las Vegas Motor Speedway but also for Las Vegas as a whole," said LVMS GM Chris Powell.

Kalkhoven said the current agreement covers one year only but that the agreement opens the path for future events: "Depending on how things go, we can happily extend this. It's very exciting for us. We love having a superspeedway event on the calendar. We'll see how it goes."

The Las Vegas announcement accounts for one of two remaining open dates on the 2004 Champ Car calendar, although Autosport magazine reports today that the championship is unlikely to include a race in the South Korean capital of Seoul. Champ Car's chairman and VP David Clare refused to deny the event's cancellation following a visit to the city last week.

Previous article Las Vegas to host race
Next article Stewart hits back at FOM

Top Comments