Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Lambo set for British run

The former factory Panoz and Cadillac team is taking advantage of plans to open up the event on August 18 to GT-class cars. Not only does DAMS want to race the Murcielago R-GT as a test ahead of its debut in the FIA GT Championship at Imola in September, but it also sees it as the perfect opportunity to give the car an outing in front of its British sponsors after missing last month's Donington Park round of the series.

Sometime grand prix driver Jean-Denis Deletraz, who will be sharing the car with Italian Andrea Piccini, said: "It will be a good meeting to be part of and it will be a good practice run for us before we go to FIA GTs."

FIA GT boss Stephane Ratel explained that the Silverstone race, which supports Britain's round of the Le Mans Endurance Series, was being used to gauge interest in a possible reintroduction of the GT class for 2005. The return of the top class, which is open to the likes of the Murcielago, the Chrysler Viper GTS-R and the Saleen S7R, had to be scrapped through lack of interest prior to the start of this season, although it has stayed on the agenda.

"I have never forgotten my idea of welcoming back GT cars," Ratel said. "We are allowing them back in at Silverstone on a one-off basis and I hope to have a number of other cars in addition to the beautiful Lamborghini from DAMS."

Ratel reiterated his stance that he will only bring back the top division if he has firm commitment for six cars in the run-up to the start of next season.

Graham Nash Motorsport, which won the British GT title in 2002 and had planned to run in the GT class had it been run in Britain this season, has confirmed that it will run its Saleen S7R at the Silverstone race. The car will contest the LMES event on the Saturday night and then be converted to the FIA specification demanded by the British rules for former British Touring Car Championship star David Leslie and historic racer Paul Whight to drive.

Previous article British GP inside line
Next article Pickup ace in Thunder stormer

Top Comments