Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Franchitti praises Rockingham after first laps

Champ Car ace Dario Franchitti says the Rockingham oval, which is to host the UK's first CART race for 23 years, will be a big success after the Scot became the first driver from the US-based series to lap the 1.5-mile circuit

Franchitti completed a handful of circuits of the track, which has yet to be fully completed, driving a Honda road car this morning (Thursday). And the Scot feels sure that the 22nd September event is going to be like no race that is currently in the championship.

"My first impressions are good. It's a very original layout and there's nothing else like it [on the calendar]," said Franchitti. "There isn't really a long straight, so we're going to be in the corners a lot of the time. It's going to be very busy - and it's definitely going to be quick."

The 27-year-old tied for the CART title on points in 1999, but lost out to Juan Pablo Montoya on number of race wins. Last season was one to be endured rather than enjoyed for Franchitti after a heavy accident in Spring Training put him on the back foot. But the Team Green driver says he is back on top form for this year and delighted to be racing in the UK. British fans, he says, are in for a surprise.

"The force of the cars passing is shocking," he said. "For example, two guys who really know what they're doing, David Coulthard and Allan McNish, both came out to Fontana last year and were blown away. DC stood there with his mouth open for most of the time and Allan went to watch from the outside of the track and just came back shaking his head."

Construction at Rockingham has been dogged by Britain's unpredictable weather and an unusually wet winter has put proceedings well behind schedule. But former hillclimb champion David Grace, who has taken over as chairman of the circuit replacing the ousted Chris Tate and Peter Davies, is unconcerned by the delays.

"The pits are complete," said Grace, "the top surface will be going onto the oval and the infield by the end of the month - we're doing okay. We have got our sights firmly set on running a successful Champ Car race and showing the Americans that we can do that. That's our number one goal."

The first meeting at the circuit, based near Corby in Northamptonshire, is a Coys Historic event on May 26.

Previous article Da Matta confident of keeping winning form
Next article Hattori wins Formula Nippon opener

Top Comments