CART to increase number of European races?
CART boss Joseph Heitzler has hinted that the US-based Champ Car series could add further European rounds to its calendar, one of which could be a second event at the Eurospeedway Lausitz oval in Germany
This year, CART makes its first foray to Europe since 1978 and has back-to-back rounds at the Lausitzring and at the Rockingham oval in the UK in September. But Heitzler, who is visiting Europe this week, says this is just the beginning for Champ Cars in Europe.
"We plan to hold more than those two events in Europe," he said.
Heitzler is suitably impressed with the all-new Lausitzring oval which can house up to 120,000 spectators. So much so in fact that the facility, in the former East Germany, could be given dates at both ends of the calendar.
"We could hold two races on the Eurospeedway Lausitz," he said. "One at the beginning and one at the end."
The Lausitzring has also received praise from drivers, most notably Newman-Haas' Christian Fittipaldi, who drove on the track in a road car at the end of last month.
"It's the best I have ever seen in terms of a race track up to now," said Fittipaldi. "It's really outstanding. They've really done their homework and I'm really looking forward to racing there."
More than 30,000 tickets have been sold for this year's race, which is on September 15, although organisers are hoping to get more than twice that amount through the turnstiles on race day. The Rockingham race takes place the following on September 22.
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments