Brack set for Ganassi, Papis in doubt
CART championship leader Kenny Brack is expected to sign a big-money deal to join Chip Ganassi Racing next year in a move that could leave Bobby Rahal looking for two new drivers in 2002
The Swede is thought to have been offered a deal by Ganassi that Rahal cannot match and team mate Max Papis could be on the verge of losing his Team Rahal seat after colliding with Brack during last weekend's Mid-Ohio race.
Last Sunday's clash was the second time the Italian has hit his team mate in three races. Papis also came together with Brack on the last lap at Michigan three weeks ago while the pair fought for the lead.
Rahal has admitted that he would struggle to match Ganassi's offer to Brack. He said: "It's going to be difficult. There is some big money out there being thrown at Kenny and I could not blame him for taking it."
Mid-Ohio winner Helio Castroneves cut Brack's championship lead to just one point at the weekend. The 35-year-old believes a move to the Ganassi team, which has won four titles in the last five years, would be good for him.
"I would certainly have to consider Ganassi as a possibility," Brack told ESPN. "It is an exceptional team and it would give me the best opportunity to win. That's always what a driver looks for."
Ganassi also left the door wide open by saying: "I think every owner in the paddock would be interested in Kenny Brack, he's a hell of a talent."
Possible replacements include Alex Barron, who met with the team last week and Buddy Rice, who is contracted to Rahal, is also thought to be an option.
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments