Sanya FE race currently unaffected by China virus outbreak

The outbreak of the coronavirus in China has prompted the country's motor racing federation to cancel a rally, but its Formula E race is currently unaffected

Sanya FE race currently unaffected by China virus outbreak

China is currently at the centre of a worldwide health scare following the outbreak of a new strain of coronavirus that has left 17 people dead.

The centre of the outbreak, the city of Wuhan, is currently on lockdown with officials having shut down its transport network to try to limit the virus spreading.

Part of the efforts to stop the outbreak growing appears to be in preventing large gatherings, with sporting events now under the spotlight.

On Thursday, the Federation of Automobile and Motorcycle Sports of People's Republic of China (CAMF) issued a statement that a winter rally planned for February 12-14 will now not take place under wider instructions about sporting events.

The statement said: "As part of efforts to prevent and control the outbreak of a new type of coronavirus, in accordance with the instruction from the General Administration of Sport 'On Suspending All Sports Competitions Until April,' the organizing committee has decided to temporarily cancel a car rally in Changbaishan, scheduled for February 12-14."

The suggestion of a blanket sports ban until April caused some alarm because there had been no official statement on that matter - and shortly afterwards the CAMF declaration was deleted.

FE is due to hold its Chinese round of the championship in Sanya on March 21, so could fall foul of any action that ran until April.

However, FE chiefs have clarified the situation with CAMF and, while continuing to monitor the situation in China, are pressing on as though the event is taking place as usual.

An FE spokesman told Autosport: "As it stands, the race in Sanya on March 21 is still scheduled to go ahead as planned.

"The uncertainty stemmed from an incorrect statement issued locally in China, which published wrong and misleading information and has since been removed.

"Nevertheless, given the current health concerns, we are continuing to closely monitor the situation as it develops on a daily basis.

"We have requested that our regional partner works together with the local motorsport federation, to liaise with the relevant authorities in Hainan province to further analyse and assess the situation and provide recommendations on preparations for the race."

Sanya's geographical location - being an island to the south of China - means it could well escape any restrictions that may remain in place on the mainland depending how the virus situation develops.

The Chinese Formula 1 Grand Prix is not due to take place until April 19, so it is far too early for any decision on potential disruption to that event - especially with the long term situation surrounding the virus unclear.

Shanghai is a major transport hub in China, and is 800km east of Wuhan.

shares
comments
The signs that point to another season of electric chaos

Previous article

The signs that point to another season of electric chaos

Next article

New coronavirus cancellation threat to Sanya FE race

New coronavirus cancellation threat to Sanya FE race
Load comments
The half-term report cards of each Formula E team in 2020-21 Plus

The half-term report cards of each Formula E team in 2020-21

In an eventful Formula E season, punctuated by rain and energy-conservation controversy, the 12 teams contesting the championship have endured many challenges in the opening seven races. Here's how they've got on across the first half of the season.

Formula E
May 26, 2021
How Formula E stood up to F1 comparisons in Monaco Plus

How Formula E stood up to F1 comparisons in Monaco

OPINION: It was no surprise to anybody that the laptimes achieved by Formula E cars on the full Monaco circuit were much slower than Formula 1. But perhaps the more relevant comparison was in the racing spectacle, where FE delivered in spades

Formula E
May 12, 2021
How Monaco dealt Formula E a winning hand to cure its hangover Plus

How Monaco dealt Formula E a winning hand to cure its hangover

Formula E faced much criticism in the wake of its maligned Valencia event. In need of a turnaround, the series' first use of Monaco's iconic Formula 1 layout provided it with the injection of thrills required to clear the fog that had enveloped the paddock

Formula E
May 10, 2021
How Valencia E-Prix farce left Formula E with an image problem Plus

How Valencia E-Prix farce left Formula E with an image problem

Formula E was under the microscope at Valencia, on its first visit to a permanent circuit. But after a mere nine drivers were left classified following Saturday's Valencia E-Prix, the electric championship once more faced criticism after rising energy deductions and miscalculations produced a farcical affair

Formula E
Apr 25, 2021
The silver bullet signing that has launched Jaguar into title contention Plus

The silver bullet signing that has launched Jaguar into title contention

It's taken a long time for Jaguar to reach the cusp of contending for championships in Formula E. But, after last season's challenge crumbled in Berlin, the team has been bolstered by a top-line arrival who has helped to end an unwanted 30-year wait

Formula E
Apr 22, 2021
How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome Plus

How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome

Another Formula E double-header, another double dose of frantic action. While the form guide remains unpredictable following fightback wins for Jean-Eric Vergne and Stoffel Vandoorne in Rome, the speed and consistency of Mercedes – both on and off the track – could have its rivals worried for what is to follow

Formula E
Apr 12, 2021
What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future Plus

What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future

Formula E's Gen3 era grid continues to take shape, after Nissan opted to commit to the series for another four years. Nissan's global chief operating officer explains why it has thrown its lot in with FE while other high-profile marques have decided to call it quits

Formula E
Mar 24, 2021
Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start Plus

Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start

With the new Formula E season belatedly getting underway in Saudi Arabia, the championship appeared to try to make up for lost time with an overspill of action and controversy on and off the track. While some talking points could have serious repercussions, it was an explosive opener for many reasons

Formula E
Mar 1, 2021