Subscribe

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Putrajaya Formula E: Trulli team fails scrutineering, out of race

The Trulli Formula E team will not take part in the Putrajaya ePrix after its troubled new car failed scrutineering

A customs issue ruled the team out of the Beijing ePrix as it prevented it from presenting its cars for scrutineering in China, though it was able to put together its Motomatica JT-01s on Friday in Malaysia.

As this was the first time the cars had been presented complete with powertrains since the design's homologation, an additional safety procedure is required.

This is known as 'Initial Scrutineering', which assesses a new homologation's safety aspects, including the functionality of its electrical systems and motor.

Trulli passed the conventional parts of the scrutineering process but was unable to meet the initial 2pm (local time) deadline for the additional safety element.

It received a €2000 fine as a result, because it breached article 24.4 of the sporting regulations, but had an extension to 5pm granted.

The cars were scrutineered by this time, but were not approved.

Its absence from Saturday's running will mean the Swiss outfit has not contested either of the opening rounds of the 2015/16 Formula E season.

The repercussions of two failed appearances are unknown, but it is understood the championship has the right to retract a team's entry in circumstances that are not deemed force majeure.

Team owner Jarno Trulli, who had been drafted in for Salvador Duran at the last minute following a "breach of contract", told Autosport earlier on Friday he had been confident Motomatica had solved its problems.

It leaves the team without a timed lap in season two heading to the third round of the championship in Uruguay on December 19, tough team principal Lucio Cavuto remains confident the issues will be resolved by the next event.

"Everyone in the team has been working incredibly hard and we were looking forward to showing our car on track," he said.

"I'd like to extend a big thank you to the whole team who have believed in the project from the start and worked relentlessly on it.

"Lots of work has been done on the cars and we are confident that everything will be fine in Punta Del Este.

"I'd also like to thank the FIA and FEH for extending the scrutineering time. Unfortunately for us, it just was not enough time to complete the cars."

Be part of Autosport community

Join the conversation
Previous article Malaysia Formula E: Jarno Trulli in for Salvador Duran in Putrajaya
Next article Putrajaya Formula E: Loic Duval leads practice for Dragon Racing

Top Comments

There are no comments at the moment. Would you like to write one?

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe