Champ Car race winner Carpentier turned down Formula E test at first

Champ Car race winner Patrick Carpentier turned down the offer of a Formula E test at first because he thought it was a serious attempt to get him back into racing

Champ Car race winner Carpentier turned down Formula E test at first

The Canadian completed a demonstration run ahead of July's 2016/17 season-ending Montreal race, and was invited to test the car again in Valencia earlier this month.

Carpentier drove the Spark SRT_01E after the first day of official pre-season testing finished on Monday, completing "about 10 laps".

He told Autosport: "At first I was confused. It kind of sounded like it was for a ride or something.

"At first I said no, then they just said do the test and have fun, so I said I'd do it.

"But it was confusing at first what the test was about, after that I understood it was just for fun.

"I kind of knew - I'm 46!"

Though Carpentier has competed in occasional stock car and rallycross events in recent years, his last full campaign was the 2008 NASCAR season.

He said his main reason for doing the test was to learn more about energy harvesting for the television broadcasts he is part of in Canada.

He said he "loved" driving the car and had been eager to explore the Ricardo Tormo circuit.

"It was not a lot of laps, but it was worth it," he added. "It's so much fun to drive.

"I love this series so much, it's what today's world is all about - you've got to spend and save. You can't just go wide open all the time.

"It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I tried to follow the numbers, then the sun came in and was on the screen, then I wasn't sure where I was at - I just gave up!

"I said I'd just do what I'm used to, go wide open until the chequered flag.

"I'm happy, I got a glimpse of the energy and what it is. The series has been really nice, to fly me here, along with Montreal.

"It's a super nice thing to do and it's been fantastic."

Carpentier said the success of older drivers, like Nick Heidfeld (40) and Stephane Sarrazin (42 next month), in FE meant age was not an insurmountable obstacle to a comeback, but explained he had built "a separate life now".

"I'm not sure I would come back, leave all that to go racing," said Carpentier, who commentates on "80-100 races a year" for Canadian television.

"You need such a commitment, it would have meant almost to let go of all of it to go back in.

"And is it worth it for a year or two? I've seen Jacques [Villeneuve] and people do it. I don't think so, not for me.

"For sure if a team would say jump in [to test] I would say 'why not?' but besides that it's just for fun."

shares
comments
Frijns lost Andretti FE seat over complexities of Audi relationship

Previous article

Frijns lost Andretti FE seat over complexities of Audi relationship

Next article

Audi: Roborace CEO role can't distract di Grassi from Formula E

Audi: Roborace CEO role can't distract di Grassi from Formula E
Load comments
The top 10 Formula E drivers of 2020-21 Plus

The top 10 Formula E drivers of 2020-21

OPINION: The 2021 Formula E campaign was one without a narrative for much of the season, with no single car or driver able to break away from the pack. That makes choosing a top 10 especially difficult, particularly as the qualifying format meant some worthy performers were unable to enjoy their day in the sun

Formula E
Sep 19, 2021
How Mercedes and De Vries achieved Formula E glory the hard way Plus

How Mercedes and De Vries achieved Formula E glory the hard way

When Nyck de Vries dominated the first race of what would be the most controversial and unpredictable Formula E season to date, it looked as though Mercedes was in for a cakewalk. But as the campaign wore on, the path to a title double became increasingly rocky. Neither driver or team would be assured of the crown until the closing stages of the very final race on a weekend of struggle in Berlin

Formula E
Sep 17, 2021
The Formula E 'loan' deal that will keep its original missionary winning Plus

The Formula E 'loan' deal that will keep its original missionary winning

OPINION: The departure of Audi from Formula E meant its long-time driver Lucas di Grassi would need to find a new berth to stay on the grid. His deal at Venturi Racing will ensure the championship's first-ever race winner will remain competitive into the final year of the current Gen2 ruleset - although it may not be a long-term fit

Formula E
Sep 15, 2021
The problems laid bare by Mercedes' impending Formula E departure Plus

The problems laid bare by Mercedes' impending Formula E departure

Mercedes' planned withdrawal from Formula E at the end of the 2022 season will contribute to the big hole left by fellow automotive manufacturers Audi and BMW on their departures. Although the team may stick around under a different guise, the exit of the now-reigning teams' champion underlines FE's current issues...

Formula E
Aug 18, 2021
The F1 dilemma facing Mercedes' new world champion Plus

The F1 dilemma facing Mercedes' new world champion

After clinching the Formula E title at the Berlin finale, Nyck de Vries is a driver in demand. Although Mercedes would love to keep a reigning champion at the team, the allure of a Williams F1 drive may be too much for de Vries to ignore should a potential deal come to pass

Formula E
Aug 17, 2021
How de Vries claimed Formula E title glory as Mercedes exit bombshell looms Plus

How de Vries claimed Formula E title glory as Mercedes exit bombshell looms

As Formula E lined up to complete its seventh season at Berlin's Tempelhof Airport, all eyes were on who would be its first official FIA world champion. Despite Nyck de Vries' title lead heading into the weekend looking all but secure, the Dutchman held on - and enjoyed a good dollop of fortune - to secure a championship double for Mercedes

Formula E
Aug 16, 2021
Why a brutal title defence can still yield another Formula E crown Plus

Why a brutal title defence can still yield another Formula E crown

It hasn't been properly reflected by the points table, but Antonio Felix da Costa has been nigh-on flawless in his Formula E title defence in 2021. Returning to the scene of his Berlin dominance in 2020, he has the chance to set the record straight and claim a remarkable against-the-odds second title

Formula E
Aug 12, 2021
Why Audi was right and wrong in Formula E's loophole row Plus

Why Audi was right and wrong in Formula E's loophole row

OPINION: With Audi's Formula E exit imminent, it had nothing to lose in London by attempting to vault Lucas di Grassi into the lead by pitting him under the safety car. Scorn directed at the team for putting glory before ethics should instead be pointed at a rulebook that allowed such a move in the first place

Formula E
Jul 27, 2021