Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

How much performance has each F1 team gained over 2026?

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
How much performance has each F1 team gained over 2026?

BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

WRC
Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Feature
Formula 1
Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

WEC
Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

National
Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

National
Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Feature
Formula E
London ePrix II
The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Vodafone Denies Jordan Claims

Vodafone hit back today in its 150 million-pound ($252.3 million) High Court battle with Formula One racing team Jordan, which claims the mobile phone giant wrongly pulled out of a sponsorship deal.

Vodafone hit back today in its 150 million-pound ($252.3 million) High Court battle with Formula One racing team Jordan, which claims the mobile phone giant wrongly pulled out of a sponsorship deal.

Launching its defence, Vodafone said it did not enter into a binding three-year agreement with Jordan as a result of a telephone conversation between its global branding director David Haines and the racing team's boss Eddie Jordan.

Jordan had earlier argued that Haines told Jordan 'You've got the deal' and that, based on previous negotiations between the parties, this statement constituted a binding agreement.

Vodafone claims that, while it conducted discussions with Jordan and four other Formula One constructors in 2001, no agreement was reached with Jordan and no binding contract existed.

It says that as of March 22, 2001 when the conversation between Haines and Jordan is alleged to have taken place, Jordan was aware that many essential terms of any such agreement remained unresolved and that Vodafone had yet to discuss any Formula One sponsorship proposals with its governing bodies.

It claims that, in a letter written after that date, Eddie Jordan recognised that any sponsorship agreement would have to be in writing, and that other correspondence shows that the race team were aware that no agreement had been reached.

It says it is unheard of in Formula One circles for such an important deal to be concluded verbally, and that Jordan was aware that no sponsorship agreement of this value would be entered into in such a way.

It also argues that Haines, who was travelling in the back of a car in Germany at the time, had neither actual nor ostensible authority to conclude a deal of this magnitude, and at no time held himself out to Jordan as having that authority.

The hearing continues.

Previous article Schumacher: 'I deserve to be leading'
Next article McLaren misses Silverstone test

Top Comments

Latest news