Subscribe

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Vitaly Petrov hopes to sort F1 future by next week amid Pirelli rumours

Vitaly Petrov believes his Formula 1 future should be sorted within the next week, with the Russian remaining hopeful that he will be on the starting grid in Australia

The former Renault driver, who was dropped by the outfit at the end of last year in favour of Romain Grosjean, has been linked with a role at Caterham but could also work with Pirelli if he does not land a race seat.

Speaking at a Pirelli event in Abu Dhabi on Wednesday, Petrov said he could not expand on what his options were for the year ahead but reckoned that matters should be settled soon.

"If I say something it will be turned into lots of stories," said Petrov, who says his manager was back in Europe sorting out his contract negotiations. "But please wait a little bit, another week. I want to say something but I can't say at the moment."

Petrov thinks it vital he maintains some role in F1 for the year ahead, because a season on the sidelines completely would make it very hard for him to find a way back in.

"I want to stay in F1 because if I lose one year then it will be very difficult to come back and to take some places for 2013. So it is important to stay."

When asked by AUTOSPORT if a test driver role at Pirelli interested him, he said: "Today they asked me to come and be part of this event, so I drive some cars, talk to some people and work with them.

"Now in Russia, Pirelli is working quite close and maybe in the future we can do some good deals. So maybe while I will not test Pirelli, maybe we can work together in different parts."

Petrov remains hopeful that a deal is possible - perhaps with Caterham - that will allow him to join the first pre-season test that takes place in Jerez from February 7.

"This is the target number one, so we will see," he said.

Reflecting on his dismissal by Renault, Petrov said he had no hard feelings about what happened - and suggested that his famous outburst against the outfit after last year's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix may have played a role in that decision.

"I think it was part of it," he explained. "I think I understand I should not talk about the team like this, but what is done is done and I don't need to be angry about what happened. Already it is the new year, it is finished so I am fully ready for next year."

He added: "What is done is done. The team made the decision and I have to accept it, move on and prepare for the next season."

Be part of the Autosport community

Join the conversation
Previous article Pirelli tweaks tyre markings for 2012 F1 season
Next article Caterham F1 team unveils 2012 challenger

Top Comments

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe