Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Feature
Formula 1
Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

MotoGP
Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Villeneuve signs for Sauber

Jacques Villeneuve has agreed a two-year deal to race with Sauber from the start of next season - just hours after getting back into an F1 car with Renault during testing at Silverstone

The deal, which was exclusively predicted by autosport.com before the Italian Grand Prix, means he will line-up alongside Felipe Massa at the Swiss team. It comes after months of speculation about the former world champion's future - having also been linked with drives at Williams and BAR.

Villeneuve said: "I am extremely excited to be back in F1 with the Sauber Petronas team, and I appreciate the confidence everybody is showing in me."

The capture of Villeneuve is a massive coup for Sauber and marks the first time that a former champion has raced for the outfit since it entered F1 in 1993.

Team boss Peter Sauber said: "I have to admit that signing a former world champion is something truly special for me. However, I want to make it clear that this was not the decisive factor.

"When I was talking to Jacques, I could feel that he is absolutely keen and committed to return to F1. He was always a great fighter and I am convinced that together we can achieve a lot."

VIlleneuve added: "It is my goal to work with Peter and his team to bring them forward in the championship during the next two seasons."

Sauber had been weighing up whether to race with an experienced driver alongside Massa next season, or opt for a young rising star like Anthony Davidson or Gary Paffett. The team will still test International F3000 champion Vitantonio Liuzzi at Jerez on Thursday.

Villeneuve will not be the first F1 world champion who has driven for Sauber, because Michael Schumacher once tested one of the Swiss team's cars as a favour to Peter Sauber.

Previous article Sauber Announce Two-Year Deal with Villeneuve
Next article Barrichello Breaks Jerez Track Record - Day Two

Top Comments

Latest news