Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Villeneuve, Panis stay with BAR for '02

British American Racing has ended lingering speculation that Jacques Villeneuve or Olivier Panis could jump ship to McLaren by confirming an unchanged driver line-up for 2002.

Both drivers had been linked to the Woking-based team when rumours that Mika Hakkinen would retire at the end of the season reached their peak. Panis acquitted himself well and impressed McLaren as its test driver in 2000, while recent comments by Villeneuve that BAR had 'gone backwards', and by his race engineer Jock Clear to the effect that the Canadian was treading water in his present situation, added more fuel.

But in a release issued today (Thursday), the Brackley-based squad said: "Lucky Strike BAR-Honda is delighted to confirm that Jacques Villeneuve and Olivier Panis will continue to drive for the team in 2002. Despite recent speculation to the contrary, the team will benefit from a stable driver line-up, affording the continuity needed to help it progress and achieve its ambitions."

For Villeneuve, 2002 will mark his fourth season with the team. During his first three years, he has been linked to several other teams, including Benetton-Renault and McLaren, and has also been mentioned as a possible Jaguar Racing driver for 2003. The 1997 world champion, who has frequently said he would move elsewhere if progress wasn't to his satisfaction, has claimed just one podium during that period.

"Next year we should improve significantly and I'm confident that we can achieve some good results, " he said. "I have been with the team for three seasons and during that time there has been a steady progression. It is also good news that Olivier and I will continue as team mates. We work well together and that is important for the team to move forward and make the necessary progress."

Panis added: "When I joined it was because (team principal) Craig Pollock, the team and the partners had faith in my ability to come back into full-time racing and be successful again. In return, I had the same faith in them and their ambition to fight with the top teams. Things haven't always turned out as we expected, but it means a lot to me that we still have that same confidence in each other."

The team currently lies sixth in the constructors' championship standings, with Villeneuve languishing in 10th and Panis in 12th in the drivers' points. Pollock admits it has been a struggle, but has also emphasised how much of a benefit continuity affords.

"So far, 2001 has been a difficult season for (the team), but the strength of our driver line-up continues to shine through," he said. "Jacques and Olivier have been doing an amazing job (and) I am very happy that the partnership will continue next season.

"The momentum their combined talent brings is an enormous boost to the team. Now it's over to us to give them the tools to do the job in 2002."

Previous article Bookies go for horses in Hockenheim
Next article Schumacher brothers criticise Jordan

Top Comments