Jarno Trulli's switch to Toyota will be confirmed on Thursday, bringing an end to a week of speculation about the Italian's future in F1
The winner of this year's Monaco Grand Prix split with the Renault team on Tuesday evening on the back of ultra disappointing results since the middle of the season. He has failed to score a point since the French Grand Prix in July, when it became clear that he was leaving the French car manufacturer.
There has been intense speculation about why Trulli's form suffered - with wild suggestions claiming that he was being deliberately sabotaged by the team in a bid to favour Fernando Alonso. Rumours even suggested that Trulli himself was not making enough of an effort in a bid to derail Renault's hopes of second place in the constructors' championship.
But Trulli furiously denied those suggestions. He said about the allegations after the Italian Grand Prix: "That's not true. All my life I've been a fighter, I never give up and I always push to the best of my ability. That's what I am doing now. But the car is just so nervous, so unstable, that it's impossible to drive fast."
Although Trulli's 2005 deal will be confirmed tomorrow, it is not clear yet whether he will race for the team before the end of this season. Olivier Panis has already announced his plans to remain as the team's test driver next year, while Ricardo Zonta's future is unclear.
A Toyota spokesman told autosport.com that the team was not considering an early move for Trulli to join the team. "We do not have plans to change our driver line-up for the three remaining races of the season," he said.
Speaking after Renault confirmed it was parting company with him, Trulli said: "I am very comfortable with this decision. I would like to thank Renault for their support since 2002, and for the success we enjoyed together. I am grateful to the team for releasing me from my obligations, which will give me the opportunity to start with my new team sooner than expected."
OPINION: With its days apparently numbered, the MGU-H looks set to be dropped from Formula 1’s future engine rules in order to entice new manufacturers in. While it may appear a change of direction, the benefits for teams and fans could make the decision a worthwhile call
Team Lotus ceased to exist in 1994 - and yet various parties have been trying to resurrect the hallowed name, in increasingly unrecognisable forms, ever since. DAMIEN SMITH brings GP Racing’s history of the legendary team to an end with a look at those who sought to keep the flame alive in Formula 1
OPINION: Formula 1 reconvenes for the Russian Grand Prix two weeks after the latest blow in ‘Max Verstappen vs Lewis Hamilton’. While the Silverstone and Monza incidents were controversial, they thankfully lacked one element that so far separates the 2021 title fight from the worst examples of ugly championship battles
Mika Hakkinen became Michael Schumacher’s biggest rival in Formula 1 in the late-90s and early 2000s, having also made his F1 debut in 1991. But as MARK GALLAGHER recalls, while Schumacher wowed the world with a car that was eminently capable, Hakkinen was fighting to make his mark with a famous team in terminal decline
Before Michael Schumacher – or anyone else – had driven the 191 (or 911 as it was initially called), Eddie Jordan turned to a fellow Irishman to test his new Formula 1 car. JOHN WATSON, a grand prix winner for Penske and McLaren, recalls his role in the birth of a legend…
OPINION: The headlines were dominated by the Italian Grand Prix crash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, who had the halo to thank for avoiding potentially serious injury. But two days earlier, Formula 1 had a lucky escape with a Monza pitlane incident that could also have had grave consequences
With two sprint races under its belt, Formula 1 must now consider its options for them going forward. While they've helped deliver exciting racing on Sundays, the sprints themselves have been somewhat lacking - creating yet another conundrum for F1 to solve...