Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost backs Caterham to fight in midfield in 2012 F1 season

Caterham now has the package it needs to join the close fight in the midfield this season, according to Scuderia Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost

Although Caterham, under the Lotus moniker, has been the best of the new teams for the past two campaigns, it has not been quick enough yet to regularly challenge the more established outfits.

However, with stability on the engine front and the addition of KERS this year, Tost thinks his Hingham-based rivals should now make a good step forward in 2012.

"The main competitors for us are Sauber, Force India and Caterham," said Tost, during a media briefing at Jerez on Tuesday.

"Caterham, they have now built up a good infrastructure. They have the Renault engine, they have the KERS system from Red Bull, and that means their package from the technical side is quite strong. They have two experienced drivers and I expect them to become a competitor this year, yes."

Tost says that he wants to see his Faenza-based team make progress itself in 2012, with him demanding it finishes better than the eighth place result in the Constructors' Championship it achieved last year.

"Our target is the seventh place. We must be better than last year, where we finished in eighth position."

Daniel Ricciardo gave the new STR7 its first track test at Jerez on Monday and Tost said he was pleased with early progress.

"The car looks nice but the important thing is that the car is fast," he said. "My first impression is that the basis of the car is quite good. I was just on the track in some corners and although we did only a few laps because we still have to do some tests on the car, I think the basis of it is healthy. I hope that we will do a good step forward with this car to improve our performance."

Previous article Jean-Eric Vergne says he is not thinking of Red Bull chance in 2013
Next article Sauber: Making a successful budget F1 car

Top Comments

Latest news