Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Formula 1
Canadian GP
What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Technical director James Key to part company with Sauber

Sauber technical director James Key is to leave the Swiss team to take up a role with one of its rivals

In a statement issued by the Hinwil-based outfit on Friday, Sauber said that the design and development of its 2012 car would now be led by the heads of department for its aerodynamic, design, performance and operations divisions.

Key said: "I've enjoyed the past two years working at the Sauber F1 Team. It has been a very intense and interesting time, in which we had to manage the transition from a much larger team to a smaller one, and everybody handled that very well.

"I think the team is now well set for the future and I wish it the very best. I have been offered a new role back in the UK, which I decided to accept."

The identity of the team Key is heading to has not been released, but Key previously worked at the Force India outfit prior to joining Sauber at the start of 2010 as replacement for Willy Rampf.

Team boss Peter Sauber added: "A qualified team shares the overall technical responsibility. This structure has proved to work well at other racing outfits. Over a period of almost two years, James has accomplished a lot for our team.

"Especially in the difficult transition period from a manufacturer team into a private enterprise, he contributed significantly to ensure the team regained stability. We would like to thank him for his efforts and wish him all the best for his future."

Driver Sergio Perez lamented the timing of the move.

"James Key's exit from the team comes at the worst moment, but we have a great team and we will push forward. There's a great year ahead," the Mexican wrote on Twitter.

Previous article Force India expects boost from change in diffuser rules
Next article Q & A with Narain Karthikeyan

Top Comments

Latest news