Sauber retains Kobayashi and Perez for 2012 Formula 1 season

Sauber will retain its current drivers for 2012, with Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez having agreed new contracts with the Swiss-based team

Sauber retains Kobayashi and Perez for 2012 Formula 1 season

The duo have impressed this year, and the team announced on the eve of the Hungarian Grand Prix that it will continue with an unchanged line-up heading into next year.

Team principal Peter Sauber said: "We are very pleased with our drivers. Kamui has grown into his role extremely well this year. Though it is only his second full Formula 1 season, he is already taking on the responsibilities that naturally fall to the more experienced driver in the team.

"We are delighted with him at both a sporting and a personal level. We had an option of working with him in 2012 and there was never any doubt that we would take it."

Perez already had a contract in place for 2012 after agreeing a multi-year deal before he signed, and Sauber said that the Mexican's pace this year had shown he was right to have faith in the youngster.

"Sergio has achieved more than one could expect from a rookie. From the very first race he proved that he is capable of driving not only fast but consistently as well. And after the accident in Monaco he demonstrated that he can handle difficult situations too.

"From the outset we had already signed a contract with Sergio that went beyond 2011. With a rookie that always entails a certain risk, of course, but clearly it has paid off."

Perez said that having confirmation that he was remaining on board for next year would be a boost to his focus for the remainder of this campaign.

"Of course it is very good to have continuity and this way I can intensively prepare with my race engineer for what will be my second Formula 1 season," he said.

"But for now I'm concentrating on finishing this season on a high. The summer break will be very good for me because since my accident in Monaco it has been a busy time."

Sauber's decision to retain both its drivers comes amid an increasing likelihood that there will be no major driver changes at teams this year. Ferrari is the only outfit to officially confirm the identity of both its drivers, with Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa remaining on board.

However, Red Bull Racing, McLaren and Mercedes GP are almost certain to have unchanged driver line-ups next year too.

Sauber has also confirmed it will retain Esteban Gutierrez as its reserve driver.

"Esteban's career is advancing in steady strides," added Sauber. "After his commanding victory in GP3 it was a logical step for him to move up into GP2, where he has now taken his first win.

"He will then enter Formula 1 when he is ready for it. For us he has been a firm fixture of the team since 2010, and we will continue to support him on his way towards Formula 1."

shares
comments
Why in-season testing must return to Formula 1

Previous article

Why in-season testing must return to Formula 1

Next article

Ricciardo hoping to outpace Liuzzi 'sooner rather than later'

Ricciardo hoping to outpace Liuzzi 'sooner rather than later'
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula 1
Drivers Sergio Perez
Teams Sauber
Author Jonathan Noble
How F1’s street track return can offer Verstappen redemption Plus

How F1’s street track return can offer Verstappen redemption

Red Bull has failed to capitalise on having the best car in the opening rounds. BEN EDWARDS thinks change is around the corner

The AlphaTauri improvements that mean Gasly’s form is no fluke Plus

The AlphaTauri improvements that mean Gasly’s form is no fluke

Pierre Gasly has driven superbly since demotion from Red Bull in 2019, but the team formerly known as Toro Rosso has come on strong too – building a car that can often challenge Ferrari and McLaren. Here Gasly reveals to ALEX KALINAUCKAS how AlphaTauri has given him the tools needed to rebuild his reputation

Formula 1
May 17, 2021
Why Bottas feels the time has come to be “more selfish” Plus

Why Bottas feels the time has come to be “more selfish”

We’ve seen five distinct versions of Valtteri Bottas at Mercedes as he’s tried to fulfil his own ambitions while being a consummate team player – two difficult, competing missions which have been challenging to reconcile. Speaking exclusively to STUART CODLING, Bottas explains his highs and lows… and why he still believes he can be world champion

Formula 1
May 15, 2021
Does Aston have a case in F1 2021’s big technical row? Plus

Does Aston have a case in F1 2021’s big technical row?

Aston Martin claims Formula 1’s latest technical tweaks have cost it competitiveness – and that it’s the innocent victim of a regulatory stitch-up aimed at pegging back Mercedes. But is any of this actually true? It depends on who you ask, says STUART CODLING

Formula 1
May 14, 2021
How long can F1 2021's brewing title battle stay clean? Plus

How long can F1 2021's brewing title battle stay clean?

Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen have been evenly matched so far in the 2021 Formula 1 title race. Neither has been afraid to get aggressive against each other on track, teeing up an enthralling contest as the year unwinds. But is their rivalry destined to end in broken shards of carbon fibre?

Formula 1
May 13, 2021
What the Spain result tells F1 about the next phase of the Mercedes/Red Bull title fight Plus

What the Spain result tells F1 about the next phase of the Mercedes/Red Bull title fight

OPINION: Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes have recovered from their pre-season woes to take three wins from the opening four races of 2021. But each time Red Bull and Max Verstappen have pushed them hard. So, what clues did the latest round of that battle – the Spanish Grand Prix – tease about the next stage of the season?

Formula 1
May 12, 2021
How Brabham’s one-hit wonder was boxed into a corner Plus

How Brabham’s one-hit wonder was boxed into a corner

The Brabham BT46B raced once, won once, then vanished – or did it? STUART CODLING reveals the story of the car which was never actually banned…

Formula 1
May 11, 2021
The changes Barcelona needs to provide a modern-day F1 spectacle Plus

The changes Barcelona needs to provide a modern-day F1 spectacle

Formula 1’s visits to Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya over recent years have been met with familiar criticisms despite tweaks here and there to the track to improve racing. With the 2021 Spanish Grand Prix largely going the same way, proper solutions need to be followed to achieve F1’s wider targets

Formula 1
May 10, 2021