Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Sato Sheds 'Wild Man' Image

Japan's Takuma Sato believes he has shed his "wild man" image and deserves to be taken seriously in the Formula One paddock

Once thought of as an accident waiting to happen, the BAR driver is targeting a solid finish in Sunday's Malaysian Grand Prix in Sepang after a frustrating opening race in Melbourne. Sato and British teammate Jenson Button came into the pits on the last lap to enable them to use fresh engines in Malaysia.

"Melbourne was a weird race," Sato told Reuters on Thursday. "But we will both be using a new engine and know we must improve. Personally I've set my sights higher this year. I've got more experience and I feel I belong in the top group of drivers."

Sato won 34 points last season to overtake the total number of points previously taken by Japanese drivers in the history of Formula One and earned his first podium finish. But the 28-year-old was the butt of jokes earlier in his Formula One career after several high-speed crashes.

"I'm definitely more mature now," said Sato, who was classified 14th in Melbourne with Button 11th. "I know how to adjust to situations better now and I can use my energy in a more positive way to help the team. After you finish on the podium you come into races with a different mindset. I know I can live with the top drivers now."

Before Sato, only Ukyo Katayama, Satoru Nakajima, Shinji Nakano and Aguri Suzuki had finished in the points. Others, such as Taki Inoue, have been a liability.

Sato's success in helping Honda-powered BAR finish second behind all-conquering Ferrari in the Constructors' Championship last year has dispelled the theory about Japanese drivers. While his own reputation grows, however, Sato's humour remains intact.

"This weekend we must get both cars across the finishing line," he said. "My priority will be just to avoid getting towed back to the garage."

Previous article Button Lowers the Bar for Malaysia
Next article Webber Wants First Finish at Sepang

Top Comments