Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Renault to look into alternator issues after Vettel and Grosjean retirements in Valencia

Renault says it will have to wait until its engines are returned to its base to work out what caused the alternators to fail on Sebastian Vettel and Romain Grosjean's cars in the European Grand Prix

Both drivers saw their chances of victory taken away when they retired shortly after a safety car period, which had been caused by Jean-Eric Vergne leaving debris on the track following a collision with Heikki Kovalainen.

Vettel retired from the lead on lap 34, while Grosjean was running second behind Fernando Alonso when his alternator failed on lap 41.

Renault Sport F1's deputy managing director and technical chief Rob White said that the French manufacturer was not sure of the causes of the failures - or even if they were identical problems.

"We don't yet know whether it was the same incident on both cars, but it is very, very suspicious to all of us that it happened to both cars at such a similar point in the race," he told AUTOSPORT.

"We need to get the engines, and of course the alternator is on the engines, back to the factory."

White said that there was no indication that the alternator failures were triggered by the safety car period interfering with the operations of the engine.

"We don't think there is any reason to think the safety was involved," he said. "We have seen the consequences of the alternator stopping, but we don't know what caused the alternator to stop.

"So we don't know whether we have had this kind of failure before. We need to get back to the factory to work it out; and obviously we will not dodge the question. When we have an answer we will give it to you."

Previous article Post-race press conference - Europe
Next article Europe Sunday quotes: Lotus

Top Comments

Latest news