Qualifying gets more criticism

Toyota ace Jarno Trulli has added his voice to continued criticisms of Formula 1's new Sunday qualifying sessions - claiming it is going to be a disaster for fans, the media and the teams themselves

Qualifying gets more criticism

Although talk over the winter that the format would almost certainly be changed before the start of the season came to nothing, it has not stopped a raft of big names believing the switch is wrong.

And amid the backdrop of massive changes to the aerodynamic, tyre and engine regulations this year, Trulli believes that his biggest worry is actually the new qualifying format.

"For me the biggest concern is the second qualifying being one day after the first qualifying," he said during a break at testing in Barcelona this week.

"This means that the Sunday newspapers won't be able to give the grid order to their readers and the same will happen with all the TV channels that won't be broadcasting the second qualifying session.

"For the drivers and the teams the biggest problem is that what was already complicated last year - predicting how the car would work with more fuel, after setting your time in first qualifying - will be even more complicated, because you'll be doing the second qualifying about 20 hours after the first, with different temperatures, wind direction and all that.

"And the first lap you'll do on Sunday will be your qualifying lap, because there's no previous practice. So you don't know how the track is and you don't know if everything is OK with the car, because you don't even do an installation lap - it's out of the pits and into qualifying!"

If the qualifying format proves a huge disaster at the start of the season, it will still take a unanimous decision from the teams to try and get it changed before the start of 2006.

Last season, the double Saturday session proved hugely unpopular but the teams could never agree amongst themselves how to replace it - so the format stayed the same for the rest of the year.

shares
comments
Sauber Says Team Not for Sale

Previous article

Sauber Says Team Not for Sale

Next article

Piquet eyes F1 'within two years'

Piquet eyes F1 'within two years'
Load comments
How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum Plus

How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum

With two sprint races under its belt, Formula 1 must now consider its options for them going forward. While they've helped deliver exciting racing on Sundays, the sprints themselves have been somewhat lacking - creating yet another conundrum for F1 to solve...

Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season? Plus

Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season?

OPINION: With Valtteri Bottas already signed up for 2022, all eyes are on the race for the second seat at Alfa Romeo next year. Antonio Giovinazzi is the current incumbent, but faces a tough competition from appealing short and long-term prospects

Formula 1
Sep 15, 2021
The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence Plus

The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence

OPINION: Daniel Ricciardo has long been considered one of Formula 1’s elite drivers. But his struggles at McLaren since switching from Renault for 2021 have been painful to watch at times. Yet he’s recovered to banish those memories with a famous Monza win – built on a critically important foundation

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton Plus

How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton

OPINION: The Italian GP clash between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen followed a running theme in the 2021 Formula 1 title fight. Their close-quarters battles have often resulted in contact - and although Hamilton has shown a willingness to back off, Verstappen must learn to temper his aggression

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings

Two drivers produced maximum-score performances as, for the second year in a row, Monza threw up an unpredictable result that left several others ruing what might have been

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021
Why Ricciardo was set for Monza F1 triumph even without Verstappen/Hamilton crash Plus

Why Ricciardo was set for Monza F1 triumph even without Verstappen/Hamilton crash

The clash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton was the major flashpoint the 2021 Italian Grand Prix will be remembered for. Yet by this point, race leader Daniel Ricciardo had already done the hard work that would put him in position to end his and McLaren's lengthy win droughts, on a memorable afternoon in Monza

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021
Why Italian GP success is on for McLaren even if Verstappen dominates Plus

Why Italian GP success is on for McLaren even if Verstappen dominates

For the second time in 2021, McLaren will line up for the start of a grand prix from the first row. It knows it has the chance of “glory” if things go well for Daniel Ricciardo and Lando Norris at the start of the 2021 Italian Grand Prix, but even if they just maintain their grid positions, signs from the rest of the Monza weekend suggest success is very possible for Formula 1’s other orange army

Formula 1
Sep 12, 2021
The F1 media favourite who lifted a broken Lotus Plus

The F1 media favourite who lifted a broken Lotus

Graham Hill was nearly 30 when he made his Formula 1 debut. NIGEL ROEBUCK examines the life of a gifted racer whose talismanic personality defined an era

Formula 1
Sep 11, 2021