Perez: "Nobody told me anything" about Racing Point exit before Stroll call

Sergio Perez has revealed he only learned he would be leaving Racing Point hours before his exit was announced on Wednesday evening, saying "nobody told me anything"

Perez: "Nobody told me anything" about Racing Point exit before Stroll call

Perez announced via his social media channels on Wednesday that he would be leaving Racing Point at the end of the Formula 1 season after seven years with the Silverstone-based team.

Racing Point confirmed on Thursday morning that four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel would be joining in Perez's place for next season, when it will be rebranded as Aston Martin.

Perez did hold a valid contract for 2021 with Racing Point after signing a three-year deal last season, and felt secure of his future with the team last month.

But Perez revealed that it was only on Wednesday that he received confirmation from Racing Point that he would be leaving during a phone call from team owner Lawrence Stroll, who said the team was going in "another direction".

"Nobody told me anything, but I already knew and figured out a couple of things," Perez said. "Final confirmation came yesterday.

"It's fine. Seven years with the team, I know everything has a beginning and also an end. We still have nine races to make each other proud."

Perez said as recently as the Spanish Grand Prix that it was a "matter of time" until speculation linking Vettel with his seat disappeared, as he was receiving feedback from the team that he would remain for 2021.

"That was the feedback that I was getting, that the team wanted to keep me and so on," Perez said on Thursday.

"There were some discussions in the background about contracts and so on, that I'm not willing to disclose because I think those things should remain between the team and myself.

"There were a couple of things in the contract that we went through. In the end, they officially told me yesterday that I'm not continuing.

"I didn't expect that. It is how it is."

PLUS: Has Racing Point done the right thing in ditching Perez?

In announcing his Racing Point exit, Perez stated that he had no plan B in place as he did not expect to be leaving the team.

While he did not wish to say he felt disappointed by how Racing Point handled the decision, Perez said greater clarity would have helped him plan for his future better.

"I understand it, it's the negotiations going on. They probably took longer than I thought," Perez said.

"Probably a bit more clarity would have helped regarding my future as well. Then I would have looked for a plan B, which probably wouldn't have changed anything."

Asked by Autosport what his next step would be, Perez said his priority was to remain in F1 so long as he can find a competitive package.

"I think everything is an option right now," Perez said.

"My main target is to remain in F1. I feel that I'm still very young and hungry, and want to carry on in Formula 1.

"But it has to be the right package. A package that really gives me the maximum motivation to give my 100% every single lap.

"It's also got to be a long-term project, targeting 2022, because there I expect the rule change to play a major effect. That's the main reason that I want to continue for '22, because I feel there are plenty of opportunities.

"I don't expect to make a decision any time soon. I will take the time that I require.

"If I don't find anything attractive in F1, I would think about other series, other things, we'll see."

shares
comments
Top 10 F1 Ferraris ranked: Sharknose, F2004 and more
Previous article

Top 10 F1 Ferraris ranked: Sharknose, F2004 and more

Next article

Vettel congratulated Gasly on joining 'Toro Rosso F1 winners' club'

Vettel congratulated Gasly on joining 'Toro Rosso F1 winners' club'
Load comments
The “glorified taxi” driver central to F1’s continued safety push Plus

The “glorified taxi” driver central to F1’s continued safety push

As the driver of Formula 1’s medical car, Alan van der Merwe’s job is to wait – and hope his skills aren’t needed. JAMES NEWBOLD hears from F1’s lesser-known stalwarts

Formula 1
Jan 15, 2022
When BMW added F1 'rocket fuel' to ignite Brabham's 1983 title push Plus

When BMW added F1 'rocket fuel' to ignite Brabham's 1983 title push

There was an ace up the sleeve during the 1983 F1 title-winning season of Nelson Piquet and Brabham. It made a frontrunning car invincible for the last three races to see off Renault's Alain Prost and secure the combination's second world title in three years

Formula 1
Jan 13, 2022
How “abysmal” reliability blunted Brabham’s first winner Plus

How “abysmal” reliability blunted Brabham’s first winner

Brabham’s first world championship race-winning car was held back by unreliable Climax engines – or so its creators believed, as STUART CODLING explains

Formula 1
Jan 10, 2022
The steps Norris took to reach a new level in F1 2021 Plus

The steps Norris took to reach a new level in F1 2021

Lando Norris came of age as a grand prix driver in 2021. McLaren’s young ace is no longer an apprentice or a quietly capable number two – he’s proved himself a potential winner in the top flight and, as STUART CODLING finds out, he’s ready to stake his claim to greatness…

Formula 1
Jan 9, 2022
The original F1 maestro who set the bar for Schumacher and Hamilton Plus

The original F1 maestro who set the bar for Schumacher and Hamilton

Juan Manuel Fangio, peerless on track and charming off it, established the gold standard of grand prix greatness. NIGEL ROEBUCK recalls a remarkable champion

Formula 1
Jan 8, 2022
How Russell sees his place in the Mercedes-Hamilton F1 superteam Plus

How Russell sees his place in the Mercedes-Hamilton F1 superteam

George Russell joining Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes this year gives it arguably the best line-up in Formula 1 – if it can avoid too many fireworks. After serving his apprenticeship at Williams, Russell is the man that Mercedes team believes can lead it in the post-Hamilton era, but how will he fare against the seven-time champion? Autosport heard from the man himself

Formula 1
Jan 6, 2022
How F1 pulled off its second pandemic season and its 2022 implications Plus

How F1 pulled off its second pandemic season and its 2022 implications

OPINION: The Formula 1 season just gone was the second to be completed under the dreaded shadow of the COVID-19 pandemic, but in many ways it was much more ‘normal’ than 2020. Here’s the story of how the championship’s various organisers delivered a second challenging campaign, which offers a glimpse at what may be different next time around

Formula 1
Jan 5, 2022
The adapt or die mentality that will shape F1's future Plus

The adapt or die mentality that will shape F1's future

As attitudes towards the motor car and what powers it change, Formula 1 must adapt its offering. MARK GALLAGHER ponders the end of fossil fuels

Formula 1
Jan 3, 2022