Pascal Wehrlein says a lack of experience cost him Mercedes seat

Pascal Wehrlein was not chosen for the Mercedes F1 seat taken by Valtteri Bottas because of a lack of experience, according to the Sauber driver

Pascal Wehrlein says a lack of experience cost him Mercedes seat

Wehrlein was one of the main candidates to replace the retiring Nico Rosberg at Mercedes for the 2017 season, with Wehrlein's career having been guided by the German car manufacturer for several years.

The 22-year-old won the DTM title with the marque in 2015 before taking a seat at the Mercedes-powered Manor team in F1 in 2016, before signing for Sauber for 2017.

But despite Rosberg's retirement delivering the perfect opportunity to try Wehrlein in a top seat, the young German says a year of experience was not enough, according to the team's executive director Toto Wolff.

"That is what he said," explained Wehrlein about the conversation he had with Wolff on the matter.

"One year of experience is not enough. It was quite clear.

"He said, 'we think it would be good for you to have more experience, one year was not enough and especially in the second year, drivers are always making big progress.'

"I think Mercedes wants to have a perfect driver, who is at his limit.

"At the moment I am not on my limit where I could be, because of the [lack of] experience and that is quite clear."

Wehrlein added that if the opportunity to drive for Mercedes was on the table, it would be a chance he couldn't refuse and that it wouldn't have been to big a step at this point in his career.

"If the chance is there, you have to take it," he said. "I think it was not too much.

"With one year of experience you are not at your limit and you will make some mistakes.

"Sometimes you will go in the wrong direction with the set-up because you are lacking the experience.

"It is something normal if you have five years of experience in F1 or even more, there will be less mistakes than with one year [of experience]."

shares
comments
McLaren Honda's Fernando Alonso says drivers can attack in new cars

Previous article

McLaren Honda's Fernando Alonso says drivers can attack in new cars

Next article

How Formula 1 has lost its humanity

How Formula 1 has lost its humanity
Load comments
The ‘screaming’ F1 engine future that may not be out of reach Plus

The ‘screaming’ F1 engine future that may not be out of reach

OPINION: It wasn't just the Verstappen/Hamilton clash that had the Red Bull and Mercedes bosses at loggerheads at Silverstone, with the nature of Formula 1's 2025 engines also subject for disagreement. But hopes to have loud, emotive engines that are also environmentally friendly don't have to be opposed

The drivers that need to strike gold before F1's summer break Plus

The drivers that need to strike gold before F1's summer break

OPINION: Formula 1 is about to break up for summer 2021, with the title battles finely poised. But it’s not just the latest round of Max Verstappen vs Lewis Hamilton that will be worth watching this weekend in Hungary, as plenty of drivers are eying big results to change the stories of their seasons so far

Formula 1
Jul 28, 2021
How Lotus F1 uncovered, then squandered its last ‘unfair advantage’ Plus

How Lotus F1 uncovered, then squandered its last ‘unfair advantage’

Cast in the mould of its founder Colin Chapman, Lotus was powerful and daring but 
flawed – as it proved through further soaring peaks and painful troughs into the 1980s. DAMIEN SMITH examines a game-changing era

Formula 1
Jul 27, 2021
The core problems Yas Marina’s long-awaited tweaks won't address Plus

The core problems Yas Marina’s long-awaited tweaks won't address

OPINION: Changes to the layout of Abu Dhabi’s circuit aim to reverse the trend of insipid Formula 1 races there - the promoter has even described one of the new corners as “iconic”. And that, argues STUART CODLING, is one of this venue’s abiding failings

Formula 1
Jul 26, 2021
How Ferrari offered Britain's next F1 prospect what Red Bull couldn't Plus

How Ferrari offered Britain's next F1 prospect what Red Bull couldn't

Last year's Formula 2 runner-up Callum Ilott could be on his way to becoming the first Briton to contest a grand prix in an Alfa Romeo since Reg Parnell in 1950. But, says OLEG KARPOV, the Ferrari Driver Academy protege is having to temper his ambition at the moment – outwardly at least…

Formula 1
Jul 25, 2021
The signs that point to F1's rude health Plus

The signs that point to F1's rude health

OPINION: Formula 1's calendar might still be facing disruption as the pandemic affects travel but, says MARK GALLAGHER, the business itself is fundamentally strong thanks to the epic rivalry taking place on track and the consistent arrival of new sponsors

Formula 1
Jul 24, 2021
The unexpected benefit of F1’s sprint race repeat Plus

The unexpected benefit of F1’s sprint race repeat

OPINION: Formula 1's sprint race trial at Silverstone drew mixed feedback on Saturday, but there remained the true test of how it would impact Sunday's Grand Prix. While fans were busy marvelling at Fernando Alonso's progress, a key lesson was being learned that would directly contribute to the dramatic lap one clash at Copse the following day

Formula 1
Jul 22, 2021
The off-track considerations that led to F1’s Hamilton/Verstappen Silverstone shunt Plus

The off-track considerations that led to F1’s Hamilton/Verstappen Silverstone shunt

OPINION: Formula 1’s 2021 title fight turned ugly last weekend when Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton collided at the start of the British Grand Prix. Verstappen thankfully walked away unharmed, but this had been a clash long-since coming

Formula 1
Jul 21, 2021