Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

DS Penske finishes in style with a victory for Barnard

Formula E
London ePrix II
DS Penske finishes in style with a victory for Barnard

Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein takes second title despite no points in season finale

Formula E
London ePrix II
Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein takes second title despite no points in season finale

DTM Nurburgring: Wittmann wins for BMW after AMG meltdown

DTM
Nurburgring
DTM Nurburgring: Wittmann wins for BMW after AMG meltdown

Why Garden Gate Green and Yamura White are all part of McLaren’s colourful history

Feature
Formula 1
Why Garden Gate Green and Yamura White are all part of McLaren’s colourful history

The changes that thrust BMW into title contention in WEC

WEC
The changes that thrust BMW into title contention in WEC

The best drives of F1 2026 so far, according to our writers

Formula 1
Dutch GP
The best drives of F1 2026 so far, according to our writers

A fine performance from DS Penske in race one at the London E-Prix

Formula E
London ePrix I
A fine performance from DS Penske in race one at the London E-Prix

Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein dominates race one to take championship lead

Formula E
London ePrix I
Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein dominates race one to take championship lead

Ocon "reassured" over Miami F1 barrier changes after crashes

Esteban Ocon has been assured of changes to the Turn 7 barrier for next year’s Miami Formula 1 race after both he and Carlos Sainz were left nursing small knocks.

Marshals assist Esteban Ocon, Alpine A522, after a crash

Sainz spun off the track at Turn 7 in Miami during second practice on Friday, hitting the concrete wall on the right-hand side of the track in an impact that left him suffering from some neck pain.

Despite Sainz’s suggestion in the drivers’ briefing that a TecPro barrier should be installed at the corner, FIA race director Niels Wittich took no action, leading to frustration when Ocon crashed at the same corner in qualifying with a 51G impact.

A number of drivers echoed Sainz and Ocon’s thoughts, expressing confusion over the decision not to make the barrier safer after the initial concerns were raised.

Speaking on Friday ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix, Ocon revealed he had a chat with Wittich earlier in the week and was left satisfied the corner will be made safer when F1 returns next year.

“I had a chat with the race director yesterday, we had a one-hour chat to be fair on all of this situation and why it had not been explained,” Ocon said.

“They’ve had a lot of work done, [completing] analysis on the trajectory of both my car and Carlos’s car, and on what could have been the best solution.

“There will be changes on the track next year, on that regard for safety. Everything’s been listened, acknowledged, and action will be done.

“I was very reassured with the chat we had and very pleased with the outcome of it.”

Carlos Sainz, Ferrari F1-75, leaves his car at the end of FP2

Carlos Sainz, Ferrari F1-75, leaves his car at the end of FP2

Photo by: Zak Mauger / Motorsport Images

Sainz said after finishing third in Miami that he “couldn’t push 100%” towards the end of the race because of his neck struggles as a result of the accident.

He revealed in Spain that he thought the issue in his neck should be resolved for this weekend and that training had been going smoothly, but added that “you never know until you jump in a Formula 1 car”.

Read Also:

The topic is expected to be discussed in Friday’s drivers’ briefing in Spain. Sainz explained that he was told it was “a very freaky crash” as justification for not placing a barrier there, and that he wanted “a proper explanation” as to why no action was taken.

“We left the weekend with two drivers with a sore neck and nearly two broken chassis for a very slow crash,” Sainz said. “So there's definitely something to review.”

Previous article Red Bull: Transfer of IP in Aston Martin F1 design would be "a serious concern"
Next article F1 Spanish GP: Leclerc quickest in FP2 from Mercedes duo

Top Comments

Latest news