Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

DTM Zandvoort: Cairoli takes maiden win as Auer grabs championship lead

DTM
Zandvoort
DTM Zandvoort: Cairoli takes maiden win as Auer grabs championship lead

Why Aston Martin hasn’t updated its F1 car since March

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Aston Martin hasn’t updated its F1 car since March

BTCC Snetterton: Cammish fastest from Ingram in hot conditions

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Cammish fastest from Ingram in hot conditions

Norris points out a key problem with F1 2026's energy management demands

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Norris points out a key problem with F1 2026's energy management demands

Can anyone stop Reddick from lifting the NASCAR Cup title?

Feature
NASCAR Cup
Can anyone stop Reddick from lifting the NASCAR Cup title?

Super Formula Suzuka: Fenestraz wins chaotic opening race

Super Formula
Suzuka
Super Formula Suzuka: Fenestraz wins chaotic opening race

Who qualifies for ADUO? Red Bull shares its F1 power unit pecking order

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Who qualifies for ADUO? Red Bull shares its F1 power unit pecking order

The details in Mercedes' Montreal F1 updates

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
The details in Mercedes' Montreal F1 updates

Nico Rosberg fears for 'legendary' German Grand Prix's F1 future

Nico Rosberg says the under-threat German Grand Prix is a "legendary" part of Formula 1 and must not be lost from the calendar

F1's German race was scheduled to return to the Nurburgring this year under the shared deal with Hockenheim that began in 2007.

But Bernie Ecclestone indicated last month first that Hockenheim would keep the race as he had not done a deal with the Nurburgring's new chiefs, and then hinted that it could fall off the schedule altogether.

DIETER RENCKEN: The future is bleak for classic grands prix

If the race - currently scheduled for July 19 - was called off, it would mark the first time since 1960 that Germany did not have a presence on the F1 calendar.

"For as long as I can think there was a German GP and it was legendary, like the British GP - such a fundamental part of the F1 season," said Rosberg, who won his home race last year.

"So it makes me feel very disappointed that it has not been fixed yet into the calendar."

AUTOSPORT understands that efforts are still ongoing to secure a deal that will keep the German GP on the schedule, but the chances of it succeeding are unclear.

The race has recently suffered from falling spectator attendance, but Rosberg argued that there was adequate fan support plus too much German involvement in F1 for the race to be dropped.

DIETER RENCKEN: Has Germany fallen out of love with F1?

Germany currently has a large presence on the grid, with three drivers in 2014 championship runner-up Rosberg, four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel and Force India's Nico Hulkenberg, plus a champion team in Mercedes.

"There are so many motor racing fans in Germany, and Germany also has such a large representation in the sport with me, Sebastian and the other Germans and Mercedes," Rosberg said.

"A big part of F1 is German, so I hope it works out."

Previous article Gary Anderson's testing verdict
Next article Mercedes will still dominate F1 in 2015 - Red Bull's Mateschitz

Top Comments

Latest news