Mosley backs control tyre

FIA president Max Mosley has reaffirmed his determination to introduce a control tyre in Formula 1 in the future - but admitted any change would have to be handled sensitively to avoid a backlash from either of the existing manufacturers

Mosley backs control tyre

Speaking after Friday's team principals' meeting at Heathrow, which was attended only by Ferrari and shunned by the other nine teams, Mosley restated his belief that moving to a single tyre supplier would help contain costs and prevents speed from escalating as rapidly as they have done in the last few years.

"There are no doubts that we could make significant savings and have better control over performance with a single tyre," he said.

Mosley said the matter needed to be considered urgently in order to be able to effect changes in time for the 2006 season: "We really need to crack on with this - in no time at all we are going to be well into 2005. If any of the cost-saving measures are to be introduced in 2006, which will be in everybody's interest, they have got to be done very quickly, obviously by agreeing them."

The control tyre proposal emerged amid considerable confusion from a meeting of team bosses (on that occasion sans Ferrari) at last year's Brazilian Grand Prix. Some teams claimed they had not realised that it was part of the package of measures which they had signed up to, while the tyre manufacturers reacted with a mixture of anger and bemusement.

Mosley stressed that, this time, both Bridgestone and Michelin would be consulted and fully involved in any discussions over the future tyre supply rules.

"We feel the starting point is a discussion at a senior level with the two existing tyre companies," he said. "The feeling is that we should talk to them and I think that is absolutely right. The tyre companies are as committed as any engine builder. The least you can do is politely say to them, 'this is what we are thinking of doing, what are your comments?' - which is exactly what we are going to do and then take a decision.

"But if you put off the start of the process for three months you just put everything back by three months. At least now by the time we have our next meeting [in Paris on April 15] we are going to have a lot of information with which we can take decisions. If the teams come they will get the advantage of this."

shares
comments
Schu expects tough fight

Previous article

Schu expects tough fight

Next article

Badoer Remains on Top as Testing Ends at Barcelona

Badoer Remains on Top as Testing Ends at Barcelona
Load comments
The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog Plus

The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog

A podium finisher in its first outing but then never again, the BRM P201 was a classic case of an opportunity squandered by disorganisation and complacency, says STUART CODLING

Formula 1
Sep 18, 2021
The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from Plus

The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from

OPINION: The headlines were dominated by the Italian Grand Prix crash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, who had the halo to thank for avoiding potentially serious injury. But two days earlier, Formula 1 had a lucky escape with a Monza pitlane incident that could also have had grave consequences

Formula 1
Sep 17, 2021
How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum Plus

How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum

With two sprint races under its belt, Formula 1 must now consider its options for them going forward. While they've helped deliver exciting racing on Sundays, the sprints themselves have been somewhat lacking - creating yet another conundrum for F1 to solve...

Formula 1
Sep 16, 2021
Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season? Plus

Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season?

OPINION: With Valtteri Bottas already signed up for 2022, all eyes are on the race for the second seat at Alfa Romeo next year. Antonio Giovinazzi is the current incumbent, but faces a tough competition from appealing short and long-term prospects

Formula 1
Sep 15, 2021
The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence Plus

The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence

OPINION: Daniel Ricciardo has long been considered one of Formula 1’s elite drivers. But his struggles at McLaren since switching from Renault for 2021 have been painful to watch at times. Yet he’s recovered to banish those memories with a famous Monza win – built on a critically important foundation

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton Plus

How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton

OPINION: The Italian GP clash between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen followed a running theme in the 2021 Formula 1 title fight. Their close-quarters battles have often resulted in contact - and although Hamilton has shown a willingness to back off, Verstappen must learn to temper his aggression

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings

Two drivers produced maximum-score performances as, for the second year in a row, Monza threw up an unpredictable result that left several others ruing what might have been

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021
Why Ricciardo was set for Monza F1 triumph even without Verstappen/Hamilton crash Plus

Why Ricciardo was set for Monza F1 triumph even without Verstappen/Hamilton crash

The clash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton was the major flashpoint the 2021 Italian Grand Prix will be remembered for. Yet by this point, race leader Daniel Ricciardo had already done the hard work that would put him in position to end his and McLaren's lengthy win droughts, on a memorable afternoon in Monza

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021