Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Formula 1
Canadian GP
What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Montagny Replaces Doornbos at Jordan

Frenchman Franck Montagny will replace Dutchman Robert Doornbos at the Jordan team as of this weekend's European Grand Prix

Doornbos has driven the third Jordan on Fridays ahead of each Grand Prix since last year's race in China, having replaced German Timo Glock at the Shanghai event.

The 23-year old, however, will lose his seat to Renault's test driver Montagny, who will drive next Friday at the Nurburgring alongside regular racing drivers Narain Karthikeyan and Tiago Monteiro.

"We began the season with three rookie drivers, which was the right thing to do while we adjusted to the Formula One environment," said Colin Kolles, Jordan's managing director. "But now, after six races into the season, we do understand that we need an experienced driver to join forces and simultaneously build up our three rookies.

"As we are in a transition year, we are in the unique position to try different options to make sure that next year, when the team will race as Midland F1, we will be able to be competitive from the very beginning.

"We are very pleased to be given the opportunity to use Franck Montagny's considerable track experience - more than 13,000 km behind the wheel of an F1 car - to give our development a major push forward. In light of this, I am expecting improved performances from our team over the course of the next few races."

The 27-year old Frenchman will resume his normal race weekend duties for the Renault team on Saturdays and Sundays.

Renault's managing director Flavio Briatore, added: "We have been working to give Franck the opportunity to demonstrate his undoubted capabilities at a race weekend and this is a good step for him, as at Friday practice he will have the chance to test the car in representative conditions.

"I am happy to be able to help Alex Shnaider and the Jordan team, who will be getting valuable feedback from a quick and proven F1 test driver who has experience with a top car and team. I believe this is a good opportunity for everyone concerned."

Previous article Analysis: Montoya Needs to Improve Luck
Next article Europe Preview Quotes: Jordan

Top Comments

Latest news