Michelin to Continue Tyre Investigation

French tyre manufacturers Michelin plan to continue with their investigation to find the reason for the problems that caused a fiasco at the United States Grand Prix

Michelin to Continue Tyre Investigation

The French company, which provide tyres to seven of the 10 F1 teams, instructed the teams not to start the race after two Toyotas had crashed in free practice on Friday because of sudden tyre failure.

As a result, only the six cars racing on Bridgestone tyres started the race at Indianapolis, which was won by World Champion Michael Schumacher, driving a Ferrari.

Michelin checked the tyres all night after Friday's crashes, conducting tests in the United States but also on similar tyres in France, before coming to the conclusion that they were not absolutely safe.

New tyres brought in by Michelin from France were then ruled out after tests by the company.

"The investigations are not over yet," Michelin's deputy director of competition Frederic Henry-Biabaud told Reuters on Monday. "We are aware that there is a problem but we have not yet precisely identified it."

Michelin said the race could have gone ahead with all cars had FIA accepted to build a temporary chicane before the slingshot final banked corner to reduce speeds and lessen the huge forces on the rear left tyres.

"We believe that it (building a chicane) was realistic and feasible but, for their own reasons, the sport's officials ruled it out," Henry-Biabaud said.

"It is too early to say what consequences this will have but our partners were very supportive and we are confident our decision will have been understood, especially in the United States, where safety is of paramount importance," he added.

Despite the fact that the teams using their tyres did not race, Michelin have no plans to quit Formula One.

"I really don't believe this will have an effect on Michelin's future in Formula One," said Henry-Biabaud.

The fiasco seriously damaged the image of Formula One, which presents itself as a showcase for high-tech excellence.

"We are convinced our decision was a professional and a responsible one in line with our policy of 100 percent safety," said Henry-Biabaud.

"We deeply regret what happened and we feel particularly sorry for the fans. We regret the consequences of this but we certainly do not regret our decision."

shares
comments
Michelin Still Committed to F1
Previous article

Michelin Still Committed to F1

Next article

Barrichello: Ferrari Not to Blame

Barrichello: Ferrari Not to Blame
Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga Plus

Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga

The appearance of a revised Aston Martin in Spain caused controversy but PAT SYMONDS explains why the FIA investigation found the Silverstone team had no case to answer

Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone Plus

Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone

After a slow start to Friday at Silverstone, all the Formula 1 teams had to effectively cram in a day’s worth of practice into one hour. But there was still plenty to learn and while Ferrari topped the times, a three-way battle is brewing ahead of the British Grand Prix

Formula 1
Jul 2, 2022
Why the future is bright for the British GP Plus

Why the future is bright for the British GP

It wasn’t so long ago the situation looked bleak at Silverstone with the future of the British Grand Prix under threat. But a transformation has seen it restored to one of the most important races on the Formula 1 calendar, with bigger and better to come

Formula 1
Jul 1, 2022
Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone? Plus

Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone?

For the first time in many years, none of the local racers starts among the favourites for the British Grand Prix. But George Russell, Lewis Hamilton and Lando Norris could have reasons for optimism

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return Plus

Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return

Max Verstappen is the world’s number one racing driver… and he’s determined to keep it that way. Speaking exclusively to GP Racing's OLEG KARPOV, the Red Bull driver explains why he’s relishing the 2022 championship battle with Charles Leclerc – and why he’s not worried about returning to Silverstone, the scene of the biggest accident of his career last year

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Why Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar can help its F1 team Plus

Why Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar can help its F1 team

On Tuesday, Red Bull laid out its plans to develop and build a new hypercar - the RB17 - penned by Adrian Newey. As the project itself sates Newey as a creative outlet, it also offers Red Bull's Formula 1 team a number of new and exciting avenues to pursue

Formula 1
Jun 29, 2022
What to expect from Mercedes as F1 returns to Silverstone Plus

What to expect from Mercedes as F1 returns to Silverstone

OPINION: The British Grand Prix is a home event for Lewis Hamilton and George Russell, with their Mercedes team based just a few miles away too. But there’s another reason why the Silver Arrows squad is eager to arrive at Silverstone this weekend, which may help it fix its remaining problems with its 2022 Formula 1 challenger

Formula 1
Jun 29, 2022
The “solemn promise” that cost quiet hero Brooks an F1 title Plus

The “solemn promise” that cost quiet hero Brooks an F1 title

After two terrifying crashes, one of the best British racers of the 1950s retired before his career peaked. But that’s why GP Racing’s MAURICE HAMILTON was able to speak to Tony Brooks in 2014. Like his friend Stirling Moss, Brooks was regarded as one of the best drivers never to have won the world championship. Here, as our tribute to Brooks who died last month, is that interview in full

Formula 1
Jun 27, 2022