Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Mercedes warned in 2012 there was no scope for F1 in-season testing

Mercedes was warned last year that there was no scope in the Formula 1 regulations for any private in-season testing

As the Brackley-based team awaits news from the FIA about whether or not its recent Pirelli tyre test is to be investigated further, it has emerged that an email clarifying the testing situation was sent in April last year.

Addressed to all the teams, the FIA and Pirelli and written by the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA), the email makes it clear that a tyre test can only take place if there is unanimous support among the teams.

The email, a copy of which has been seen by AUTOSPORT, states that following discussions with the FIA, it is clear that in-season tyre testing for Pirelli by a single team cannot take place.

"Pirelli is entitled under the terms of their agreement with the FIA to offer teams 1000km of tyre testing, subject to each team being treated equally," said the email.

"However there are no provisions within the Sporting Regulations for such testing to take place in-season.

"[FOTA has] spoken with Charlie [Whiting] to confirm the process going forward, and there are two options: 1. ALL teams want to take up Pirelli's offer and this is communicated to the FIA who will amend the Sporting Regulations; or 2. The test takes place out of season (and then the testing agreement comes into play)."

One month before the FOTA clarification, Pirelli wrote to the teams explaining that there was the possibility for 1000km of testing.

It was in this letter, sent by Pirelli to the teams, Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA, that the initial offer for teams to take part in such a test was made.

"Within our agreement with the FIA there is a provision to invite all teams to perform 1000km of tyre testing," wrote Pirelli motorsport chief Paul Hembery.

"If this is something your team would be interested in pursuing, please advise your interest so an eventual test date could be set. We would provide the track and service support."

Mercedes is adamant that it had more recent authority from the FIA to run its 2013 car at the Barcelona test, which took place in the week after the Spanish Grand Prix.

However, a statement issued by the FIA on Sunday night suggested that its approval for the test was conditional on all teams being invited to take part, and the car being run by Pirelli rather than Mercedes.

Following a protest by Red Bull and Ferrari over the matter, the Monaco GP race stewards are preparing a report for the FIA to judge whether or not the matter warrants a hearing.

Previous article Mercedes: Monaco win not evidence F1 tyre issues are being mastered
Next article Force India: Adrian Sutil's fifth-place a needed confidence boost

Top Comments

Latest news