Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

WRC
Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Feature
Formula 1
Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

WEC
Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

National
Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

National
Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Feature
Formula E
London ePrix II
The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Massa Under Observation after Crash

Brazilian driver Felipe Massa is under observation after crashing in pre-season testing for the Sauber Formula One team in Barcelona on Wednesday.

Brazilian driver Felipe Massa is under observation after crashing in pre-season testing for the Sauber Formula One team in Barcelona on Wednesday.

"It would be pre-emptive to give a medical condition but Felipe was able to get out of the car himself, which is a big indication to his well-being" said Sauber's head of communications Hanspeter Brack.

"We do not know the reasons for the accident but our engineers say it was not due to driver error. We now need some time to analyse the car and the parts. The car will be taken back to our factory in Switzerland."

A statement on the Circuit de Catalunya website said Massa left the track at the end of the main straight.

"The causes of the accident, which took place at 9.35am (local time) on the fourth lap of the morning testing session are unknown," it read. "The car spun out across the escape gravel and slowed down before hitting the tyre wall where it stopped.

"The driver was able to walk away from the car, but the medical services decided to evacuate him to the Catalunya General Hospital as a precautionary measure where he will remain under observation."

Massa, who signed a two-year contract with Sauber in October, will partner Italian Giancarlo Fisichella this year. He returned to the team after spending last year as a test driver with Ferrari.

Previous article Massa taken to hospital
Next article Jos remains in Jordan frame

Top Comments

Latest news