Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Supercars Symmons Plains: Feeney halts winless run with dominant display

Supercars
Tasmania Super 440
Supercars Symmons Plains: Feeney halts winless run with dominant display

Antonelli and Russell clear the air after F1 Canadian GP sprint race clash

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Antonelli and Russell clear the air after F1 Canadian GP sprint race clash

Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Lewis Hamilton would happily use F1 halo in Singapore Grand Prix

Lewis Hamilton says he would happily keep Formula 1's halo cockpit protection device on his Mercedes in the Singapore Grand Prix, after trying it during practice

The three-time F1 world champion was one of the strongest critics of the halo when it first appeared, with Ferrari during pre-season testing.

However his stance has softened and after becoming the latest driver to evaluate it, in first practice on Friday, Hamilton says he would have been fine leaving it on the car this weekend, rather than waiting until 2018.

"Apart from getting in, which is a lot different, I don't really notice much difference," he said.

"I could run it this weekend, no problem, if they allowed it.

"[From] my mirrors, I couldn't see the rear wing, so it blocks a little bit of the view in the mirrors, but otherwise in the corners I didn't really notice it.

"I kinda felt like I should've just kept it on.

"It definitely doesn't look good, but when we go back to that 17% [safety improvement], it's still better than nothing."

While team-mate Nico Rosberg led the way in second practice, Hamilton was seventh, having made a mistake on his qualifying simulation.

He also lost time with a small hydraulic issue, which was traced back to a faulty valve.

"The car's fine," Hamilton said.

"Had a fault in [the valve], it's changed and fixed and there should be no problem tomorrow."

NO REPEAT OF 2015

Singapore represented a rare low-point for Mercedes last year, when it struggled with the super-soft tyres and was outpaced by Ferrari and Red Bull.

Hamilton said it was obvious early that Mercedes would not face a repeat of that "disaster".

"We knew straight away when we went out that the car's a lot different compared to last year," he said.

"Last year we were sliding around a lot, had really low downforce.

Raikkonen expects three-team fight for pole

"The window in which we had our car set up last year just didn't seem to work here and this year it feels completely different.

"It feels like it's working the tyres and I'm hoping we're going to continue to improve and be in the fight for the front row, for the win this weekend."

Previous article Strange steering trouble baffles Perez in Singapore GP F1 practice
Next article Button surprised by McLaren's lack of Singapore GP practice pace

Top Comments

Latest news