Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Holding Zandvoort F1 race behind closed doors "unthinkable"

Jan Lammers, sporting director of the Dutch Grand Prix, says that the option of holding Zandvoort's first race back on the Formula 1 calendar behind closed doors is "unthinkable"

Formula 1 was set to return to Zandvoort next month for the first time since 1985, but the grand prix is one of many motorsport events that have been put on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic.

On Tuesday, the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal was the latest F1 race to be officially postponed, making the French Grand Prix on June 28 the provisional curtain-raiser of the 2020 Formula 1 season.

F1 sporting director Ross Brawn has suggested that as many as 19 grands prix could still take place in 2020 if some of them can be held behind closed doors, and the Bahrain Grand Prix was due to run without spectators before it was called off.

But not all grand prix organisers seem keen on the idea to run a race without any fans in attendance, and Lammers has said that the Dutch GP organisers would rather delay the event until 2021 than host a race behind closed doors.

"[A race without fans] is an unthinkable scenario," Lammers told Autosport. "If you have a race, is has to be without compromise. You have to be able to celebrate.

"For us it's about the return of Formula 1 after 35 years. That should be a great party that you want to celebrate with everyone."

Lammers conceded that Zandvoort would have to reconsider its point of view if a formal request was made by Formula 1, but so far that has not yet happened.

"If we're being asked that question, we will have seriously think about it," he admitted.

"A race without fans is not something we want to think about until we're being asked that question.

"Fortunately that hasn't happened yet. As far as we're concerned though, it's just not possible."

Lammers agreed the sport is having to strike a difficult balance to safeguard its future while prioritising the health of its paddock and spectators, and he applauded the sport for exploring all options.

"We can't forget that the FIA and FOM are facing an incredible task.

They are trying to save as much as they can; teams, promotors, sponsors.

"They are all doing what you can expect from them, they are thinking about all scenarios. It's a good thing."

"We can only hope that we'll get a green light soon and that we'll quickly have a grand prix again.

"Because that would mean that the virus is a little bit under control, and that's the most important thing in all of this."

Previous article Renault puts majority of F1 staff on furlough to safeguard future
Next article Renault not ruling out Racing Point F1 car design legal challenge

Top Comments