Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Heidfeld latest to criticise HANS

Nick Heidfeld has become the latest driver to speak out against the Head And Neck Supports (HANS) device, which is to be made compulsory in Formula 1 from the start of the season

The German tried two versions of the device in testing at Barcelona yesterday (Tuesday). One was a standard FIA unit, whilst the other had been modified by the Sauber team itself. However, Heidfeld was not happy with either of them.

"After two laps using the HANS system it gave me a big headache because it hurt my neck," he said. "I wear my seat-belt loose so I move about a bit, but the HANS doesn't so it was rubbing against my collar-bone. I can't wear the system when it's like this. I want to wear it in Melbourne but I can't unless modifications are made to it. Something has to be done about it."

The HANS device modified by Sauber featured a special clip, which attached the device directly to the driver's seat-belt. Although this didn't entirely solve his problems, Heidfeld was happier with it. Teams are free to modify the HANS device, but must receive approval from the sport's governing body, the FIA, before using their own version in a race. Sauber's device has yet to be approved by the FIA.

Also in testing yesterday, BAR star Jenson Button revealed that he has been unable to use the device in testing, because of insurance problems. He said: "My helmet is not insured to be used with HANS, so it has to be cleared before I can wear it. I haven't tried it yet, but I'd like to."

Previous article Firman Not Paying 'a Penny' for Jordan Drive
Next article Ask Nigel Roebuck: February 5

Top Comments