Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Feature
Formula 1
Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

MotoGP
Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Why the real F1 pecking order won't be seen until Barcelona at the earliest

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why the real F1 pecking order won't be seen until Barcelona at the earliest

MotoGP considers reducing riders to one bike from 2027

MotoGP
MotoGP considers reducing riders to one bike from 2027

Hamilton to 'move on' after Raikkonen apology for Silverstone clash

Lewis Hamilton says he has accepted an apology from Kimi Raikkonen for their first-lap clash in last weekend's British Grand Prix and wants to "move on" from the incident

Hamilton was spun around by the Ferrari driver at Turn 3 at Silverstone, which dropped him to 18th and necessitated a charge through the order to finish second.

The collision sparked huge scrutiny over the Ferrari vs Mercedes 2018 fight as it came just two races after Raikkonen's team-mate Sebastian Vettel wiped out the other Mercedes of Valtteri Bottas in France.

Hamilton hinted at "interesting tactics" from Ferrari post-race but took to Instagram on Monday to say: "Kimi said sorry and I accept it and we move on.

"It was a racing incident and nothing more.

"Sometimes we say dumb shit and we learn from it".

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff said after the race that he was "not comfortable at all with the incident because it's tiresome being taken out in the first lap".

He had earlier told Sky Sports F1 that Mercedes technical director James Allison had asked "do you think it is deliberate or incompetence?" during the race.

That Allison remark was then put to Ferrari boss Maurizio Arrivabene, who told Italian TV that he hoped it was a joke or he would otherwise be extremely displeased.

But it is believed that Allison's comment was made in jest, and has not caused a serious problem between the two teams.

Wolff even clarified his initial remark later on Sunday when speaking to Polish TV channel Eleven Sports.

"I said you need to question whether it was incompetence or deliberate - a stupid comment of mine in the emotion," he said.

"But it was just a stupid manoeuvre and a stupid manoeuvre that happened a second time in three races - that's why [I had] the emotion."

Hamilton used his Instagram account post-race to address his absence from the immediate interviews before the podium ceremony.

Claiming he had lost "nearly 3kg" in his recovery drive, Hamilton said he "barely had any energy at the end to stand, let alone talk".

"If you can't understand and appreciate that then I fully understand," he added.

"[It] was nothing to do with anger, [I was] literally just exhausted both physically and emotionally."

Previous article Red Bull F1 team 'exposed' by 'insane' Ferrari power advantage
Next article Kimi Raikkonen 'just messed up' in Lewis Hamilton collision - Nico Rosberg

Top Comments

Latest news