Hakkinen says his season starts at Imola
Mika Hakkinen says he will use the start of the European Formula 1 season to rekindle his world championship ambitions, according to this week's Autosport magazine (on sale April 12)
McLaren's flying Finn has only managed to score one point so far this season, and his nadir came at the Brazilian Grand Prix where he stalled on the startline.
"Although I have had a disappointing start to the year, I am not going to hide away in a box," said Hakkinen. "I'm going to try and look at the facts. It is no use just going and hiding and being sorry for myself."
Despite his nightmare start to 2001, Hakkinen is confident he can reap a decent points haul in this weekend's San Marino GP, this year's first in Europe.
"This has given me time to clear my mind and start over again," said Hakkinen. "I feel that we are getting a good car for Imola and all I have to do is keep my positive attitude."
He says that his team mate David Coulthard's Brazilian Grand Prix win doesn't mean McLaren has moved ahead of Ferrari in the F1 pecking order.
"There is no reason to get too excited about our win in Brazil," said Hakkinen. "It was good that we got points and Michael Schumacher's winning streak was cut down."
McLaren has struggled this year with a handling imbalance that has caused understeer, especially in high-speed corners. Technical director Adrian Newey missed the Interlagos race to concentrate on modifications at McLaren's UK base.
Hakkinen is 25 points behind Ferrari's Schumacher, who leads the points table, and 19 shy of Coulthard.
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments