Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Endurance
Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

MotoGP Catalan GP: Di Giannantonio wins chaotic Barcelona race

MotoGP
Catalan GP
MotoGP Catalan GP: Di Giannantonio wins chaotic Barcelona race

Nurburgring 24 Hours: Mercedes win despite late failure for Verstappen Racing

Endurance
Nurburgring 24 Hours: Mercedes win despite late failure for Verstappen Racing

How F1's ADUO system works

Feature
Formula 1
How F1's ADUO system works

Grapevine: Coulthard and Hakkinen Set to Re-Sign

McLaren's record-breaking Formula One partnership of Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard looks likely to continue for another season. Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug hinted as much at the European Grand Prix on Friday while Briton Coulthard said he wanted to remain with the team.

McLaren's record-breaking Formula One partnership of Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard looks likely to continue for another season. Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug hinted as much at the European Grand Prix on Friday while Briton Coulthard said he wanted to remain with the team.

"Don't expect any surprises," Haug told a news conference when asked about any news on the team's line-up for 2002. "We are in no hurry. We are only at the end of June."

Coulthard, currently second in the title battle 18 points behind Ferrari's world champion Michael Schumacher, has won twice this year and scored points in seven of the eight races so far. Hakkinen has been less fortunate and scored just eight points to languish 50 behind Schumacher. The Finn should have won the Spanish Grand Prix but his car's clutch exploded five laps from the finish while he was comfortably ahead.

"I would like to stay with the team because I have been here since 1996 which is a long time," Coulthard said.

He and two-time champion Hakkinen have been team mates for six seasons, the longest driver partnership in Formula One history. Hakkinen joined the team in 1993. McLaren is the only one of the top three teams yet to confirm their drivers for 2002, with Ferrari announcing last month that their line-up would remain unchanged.

Williams has Ralf Schumacher to the end of 2004 and Juan Pablo Montoya signed on a long-term deal along with Briton Jenson Button, currently on loan to Benetton.

Coulthard said he did not know when any announcement might be made on his future, but it was "an obvious thing to happen" and the team could have no doubt that he was doing his best.

"If I look at the team, they still have what I think represents the best long term opportunity for winning Grands Prix and championships," he said.

Previous article Free practice 1: DC off to a flyer
Next article Friday Second Free Practice - European GP

Top Comments

Latest news