GPWC still on track, says Ron

Both Ron Dennis and Mercedes Motorsport boss Norbert Haug have rubbished comments attributed to BMW motorsport director Gerhard Berger claiming that the breakaway manufacturer-backed GPWC was going nowhere

GPWC still on track, says Ron

"Gerhard's a good friend but he's speaking a load of rubbish," Dennis said. "He's not involved and he has no idea of the commercial parameters involved.

"There was a meeting of Bambino Holdings (representing the Ecclestone-held 25 percent of F1), Goldman Sachs (on behalf of the banks that hold the remaining 75 percent that was purchased by Kirch Groupe) and the GPWC last Monday and based on my knowledge of that, I can say that we are very close to a good commercial balance."

The manufacturers are trying to negotiate a more equitable distribution of funds and a say in F1's future direction when the current Concorde Agreement governing the sport expires in 2007.

"It is inevitable that with something as complex as this and with such a commercial impact on those involved, it is going to take a bit of time," Dennis added. "I'm honestly surprised at Gerhard's comments because, normally, when he doesn't understand something he doesn't talk about it..."

Haug said: "If there are no changes and without the involvement of the manufacturers, then we are going to go nowhere."

shares
comments
The 'Silly Season' sets in

Previous article

The 'Silly Season' sets in

Next article

Grapevine: Final News from the Paddock - European GP

Grapevine: Final News from the Paddock - European GP
Load comments
The unexpected benefit of F1’s sprint race repeat Plus

The unexpected benefit of F1’s sprint race repeat

OPINION: Formula 1's sprint race trial at Silverstone drew mixed feedback on Saturday, but there remained the true test of how it would impact Sunday's Grand Prix. While fans were busy marvelling at Fernando Alonso's progress, a key lesson was being learned that would directly contribute to the dramatic lap one clash at Copse the following day

Formula 1
Jul 22, 2021
The off-track considerations that led to F1’s Hamilton/Verstappen Silverstone shunt Plus

The off-track considerations that led to F1’s Hamilton/Verstappen Silverstone shunt

OPINION: Formula 1’s 2021 title fight turned ugly last weekend when Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton collided at the start of the British Grand Prix. Verstappen thankfully walked away unharmed, but this had been a clash long-since coming

Formula 1
Jul 21, 2021
Will 2022's all-new cars look like F1's concept model? Plus

Will 2022's all-new cars look like F1's concept model?

Formula 1 provided its clearest example yet of what the 2022 cars are set to look like when it presented a full-scale concept to the world during the build-up to last weekend’s British Grand Prix. Underneath the special shiny livery was a design that hinted at the future, but teams will be digging into key areas that may reap differing results

Formula 1
Jul 20, 2021
British Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

British Grand Prix Driver Ratings

The 2021 British Grand Prix will live long in the memory for the dramatic clash between Formula 1's two title protagonists, which opened the door for other drivers to capitalise. One did so in spectacular fashion, while others fluffed their lines

Formula 1
Jul 19, 2021
How Leclerc almost defied Hamilton after F1 title rivals’ Silverstone clash Plus

How Leclerc almost defied Hamilton after F1 title rivals’ Silverstone clash

A poor start for Valtteri Bottas and the lap one clash between Formula 1's 2021 title protagonists gave Charles Leclerc a surprise lead in the British Grand Prix that he almost held to the end. Here's how the Ferrari driver came close to a famous victory, ultimately denied by a recovering Lewis Hamilton three laps from home

Formula 1
Jul 19, 2021
The signs that suggest Mercedes can win the Silverstone F1 race Plus

The signs that suggest Mercedes can win the Silverstone F1 race

Red Bull and Max Verstappen scored an early blow against Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes at Silverstone, with sprint qualifying race victory. But that doesn’t mean Sunday’s grand prix is a foregone conclusion. Although Verstappen starts as the favourite, here’s why Mercedes still holds hope of winning

Formula 1
Jul 18, 2021
Uncovering Silverstone's engineering secrets for F1 success Plus

Uncovering Silverstone's engineering secrets for F1 success

Formula 1 returns to Silverstone this weekend, but despite its familiarity to all the teams it is no picnic. Here are five of the key points for engineers to consider prior to the British Grand Prix

Formula 1
Jul 16, 2021
The changing faces of F1’s British GP conquerors Plus

The changing faces of F1’s British GP conquerors

The British Grand Prix is where the world championship began in 1950. STUART CODLING looks at six of Formula 1's era-defining cars which have all scored memorable victories in its original race

Formula 1
Jul 15, 2021