Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Feature
MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Frentzen waits on fitness go-ahead

Heinz-Harald Frentzen has been made to wait before getting the all-clear on whether he can race in Sunday's European Grand Prix

The German was sidelined from the last round in Canada a fortnight ago with concussion, following two high speed crashes.

He was hoping to get the all clear on Thursday at the Nurburgring, but after a 40-minute examination, FIA Medical Delegate Sid Watkins said Frentzen will have to wait another few hours for his decision.

No reason was given for the delay, but Frentzen left the medical centre to go into a series of team briefings.

Frentzen, who confirmed on Thursday he is set to re-sign next year for a fourth season at Jordan, first suffered concussion in a Monaco Grand Prix smash a month ago.

Dizzy spells resulted in the German being sidelined from testing the following week in France. He attempted a comeback at the last round in Canada, but pulled out before qualifying after doctors advised him to miss the race following a second accident during Friday practice.

He flew back to Germany on race day for extra tests and more sophisticated scans. And after missing testing at Silverstone last week he travelled to the Nurburgring hoping to get the okay.

A team spokesman had earlier said they were "99 per cent certain" he would race.

"I had concussion in Montreal but didn't realise it at first," said Frentzen. "It wasn't until the evening and I got more and more headaches, so I decided not to race.

"Since then I have had some tests and fortunately it is only concussion. But Sid said I should take a rest and watch the testing at Silverstone from the pool."

Ricardo Zonta, who briefly dislocated his shoulder in a bizarre incident in the paddock on Thursday, is standing by in case the German is not allowed to compete.

The Brazilian, who is the team's official test driver, was said to be joking with mechanics when the incident happened. The shoulder was quickly reset.

Previous article GP Betting: Home-grown talent to bear fruit?
Next article Coulthard Refuses to Let Frustation Take Over

Top Comments