Frentzen to Drive for Arrows in 2002 (Updated)
German Heinz-Harald Frentzen will drive for Arrows alongside Brazilian Enrique Bernoldi for the 2002 season, the Leafield-based team confirmed on Thursday.
German Heinz-Harald Frentzen will drive for Arrows alongside Brazilian Enrique Bernoldi for the 2002 season, the Leafield-based team confirmed on Thursday.
The 34-year-old Frentzen was left without a drive for the new season after the troubled Prost team were declared bankrupt on January 28, and Arrows team principal Tom Walkinshaw said he was happy with his choice of driver.
"We're very pleased that Heinz-Harald is joining the team," Walkinshaw said. "He is a recognised top-line driver and has proved his mettle by winning three Grands Prix during his career. We are at an important stage in the development of Arrows and feel that Heinz-Harald has the necessary experience to help us move forward."
Frentzen began his Formula One career at Sauber in 1994 before moving to Williams, where he secured his first Grand Prix win at the San Marino Grand Prix three years later. He left Williams at the end of 1998 and joined Jordan before linking up with Prost last season.
"I'm very much looking forward to racing for Arrows," Frentzen said, after signing the one-year deal. "The team has a fantastic facility and a lot of very talented and dedicated people. All the ingredients are there to take a major step forward and I'm convinced we will be successful."
The signing of Frentzen is a bitter blow for Dutchman Jos Verstappen, who was given a contract for the 2002 season midway through last year. Verstappen, who pre-empted Arrows' announcement by predicting Frentzen's appointment on his own official website on Wednesday, has now been released from his contract and has parted company with the team.
Frentzen began his testing duties with the team this morning at the Valencia circuit, but he had a troubled start and stalled his A23 on the track after only a few laps.
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments