Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

French GP plans suffer fresh blow

Hopes that the French Grand Prix will return to the Formula 1 calendar soon suffered a blow on Tuesday, after plans for a new circuit to host the race were cancelled

Earlier this year, French authorities singled out a 4.5 kilometre track at Flins-Les-Mureaux, north west of Paris, as its preferred venue for a future F1 event.

The track was going to form the centrepiece of a new industrial complex that would attract major investment to the Yvelines region. It was hoped the track would be ready to host the French GP in 2011.

However, even though the industrial parts of the project have gone ahead and been a success, local authorities have decided to scrap plans for the F1 track.

Alain Schmitz, president of the general council of Yvelines, said on Tuesday: "Having consulted all the stakeholders in this case, I have decided in agreement with the elected county council to abandon the construction of the Formula 1 circuit."

Although the end of the plans for a race at Flins-Les-Mureaux is a big blow for French GP hopes, there still remains a chance the race could find its way back. Earlier this year, bosses at the Paul Ricard circuit expressed an interest in bidding for the F1 race.

Previous article Soucek confident of making 2010 grid
Next article Q & A with Andy Soucek

Top Comments