Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell and Antonelli fight for race lead

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell and Antonelli fight for race lead

Rosenqvist wins 2026 Indy 500 in closest-ever finish

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Rosenqvist wins 2026 Indy 500 in closest-ever finish

BTCC Snetterton: Shedden sees off Sutton for race three win, Ingram charges to third

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Shedden sees off Sutton for race three win, Ingram charges to third

McLaren: Pirelli F1 tests will help Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
McLaren: Pirelli F1 tests will help Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP

BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

DTM Zandvoort: Van der Linde grabs victory for BMW as Dorr takes maiden podium

DTM
Zandvoort
DTM Zandvoort: Van der Linde grabs victory for BMW as Dorr takes maiden podium

Why wet Canadian GP will be "the perfect storm" for F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why wet Canadian GP will be "the perfect storm" for F1

BTCC Snetterton: Rainford dominates to lead home Ingram

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Rainford dominates to lead home Ingram

FIA says has new evidence in spy case

Formula One's governing body said on Wednesday that it had received new evidence relating to a spying controversy involving McLaren and Ferrari and an appeal hearing scheduled for next week had been withdrawn

The International Automobile Federation (FIA) said in a statement that its World Motor Sport Council had instead been reconvened for a hearing in Paris on September 13, the date scheduled for the appeal.

It added that representatives of championship leaders McLaren, who could face exclusion from the championship, had been invited to attend.

"Following receipt of new evidence, the World Motor Sport Council has been reconvened for a hearing in Paris on September 13," it said.

Asked about the new information, an FIA spokesman said the world body was "not in a position to make any comment at this stage."

The World Motor Sport Council decided in July not to impose any penalty on Mercedes-powered McLaren because of insufficient evidence that they had benefited from Ferrari data in the possession of their suspended chief designer Mike Coughlan.

However the governing body said at the time that the matter was not closed.

"If it is found in the future that the Ferrari information has been used to the detriment of the championship, we reserve the right to invite...McLaren back in front of the WMSC where it will face the possibility of exclusion from not only the 2007 championship but also the 2008 championship," it said .

Ferrari, McLaren's title rivals, were incensed by the original council verdict and FIA president Max Mosley sent the decision to the body's International Court of Appeal.

"The FIA President's referral of the matter to the International Court of Appeal has been withdrawn," the FIA said on Wednesday.

McLaren's Lewis Hamilton leads double world champion teammate Fernando Alonso by five points going into Sunday's Italian Grand Prix, Ferrari's home race, at Monza.

Ferrari's Felipe Massa is 15 points behind Hamilton with teammate Kimi Raikkonen one point further adrift with five races remaining.

Previous article Massa: Ferrari stronger than it looks
Next article McLaren under investigation by stewards

Top Comments