Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Endurance
Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

MotoGP Catalan GP: Di Giannantonio wins chaotic Barcelona race

MotoGP
Catalan GP
MotoGP Catalan GP: Di Giannantonio wins chaotic Barcelona race

Nurburgring 24 Hours: Mercedes win despite late failure for Verstappen Racing

Endurance
Nurburgring 24 Hours: Mercedes win despite late failure for Verstappen Racing

How F1's ADUO system works

Feature
Formula 1
How F1's ADUO system works

FIA reaches Ferrari "settlement" after 2019 F1 engine investigation

The FIA has reached a private "settlement" with Ferrari over its 2019 Formula 1 engine, after concluding an investigation into the team's power unit

Ferrari was at the centre of intrigue last year amid suspicions it had found a way of getting around fuel-flow sensor restrictions to provide a power boost.

A number of teams wrote to the FIA to seek clarification about design aspects of its power unit, though Ferrari was never found to be in breach of the regulations, and no rival formally protested the outfit.

In a statement issued by the FIA on Friday, the governing body said it had reached an agreement with Ferrari.

"The FIA announces that, after thorough technical investigations, it has concluded its analysis of the operation of the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 power unit and reached a settlement with the team," said the statement.

"The specifics of the agreement will remain between the parties.

"The FIA and Scuderia Ferrari have agreed to a number of technical commitments that will improve the monitoring of all Formula 1 power units for forthcoming championship seasons as well as assist the FIA in other regulatory duties in Formula 1 and in its research activities on carbon emissions and sustainable fuels."

The wording of the statement is intriguing, as the FIA does not state that it found the power unit to have complied fully with the regulations.

The existence of a private settlement, and an agreement to help monitoring of power units going forward, suggests there may have been a trade off in terms of not taking the issue further.

Last year, a number of technical directives were issued to clarify what teams were and were not allowed to do with their sensors.

The issuing of these coincided with a period in the championship when Ferrari's straightline speed advantage was reduced.

In a bid to prevent teams from circumventing the rules, the FIA has introduced a second fuel-flow sensor for 2020.

Previous article Ferrari wants assurances over coronavirus from F1 before travel
Next article Barcelona F1 testing: Bottas tops final day, Verstappen teases pace

Top Comments

Latest news